Problem to surf in ipv4 using a MAP-T line

Hi,
I bought a Turris Ominia 2020 model RTROM01-FCC then I connected the router to a MAP-T line.

After installing map-t module, I am able to take MAP-T ipv6 from the BNG and surf using this protocol, but the IPv4 is not calculated so I can’t surf in IPv4.

Because using a third party router installing Openwrt version 21.02.1 r16325-88151b8303 on, for example a TP-Link 1750ac v2/v5, I am able to surf both in IPv6 and IPv4, could you help me to understand why with Turris I can’t surf in ipv4?

The current Turris version I’m using is TurrisOS 5.2.7 9882a54c4848e2e282bca435c6aa0025d9fa37df.

Please could you help me?

Thank you very much

I don’t know these kinds of deployment, really. I assume that you’re missing the DNS64 part, i.e. generation of fake AAAA records in DNS in cases where only A exists? (and perhaps also some other parts which I most likely don’t know at all?)

Thanks for answer. No I think that the module is working fine infact the BNG answers to me with MAP-T details but the router can’t calculate the IPv4.

Thanks

Can you update to the latest 5.3.x?

Hi hagrid,

thank you very very much for the reply… Now finally is working.

Turris OS 5.3.5.

I will do other test, thank you very much

Well, if it works… can you please send us some screenshots, how does it even look?
You know, no ISP here in Czechia provides MAP-T so we have no idea what does it mean and how does it work.

Any detailed info will be appreciated.

Hi hagrid,

of course.

Here you can find all specs RFC 7599 - Mapping of Address and Port using Translation (MAP-T) from IETF of MAP-T.
Basically starting from an IPv6, the BNG sends all information and the starting address of IPv4 pool to calculate the Public IPv4 of the customer. It is usually used to share the same IPv4 between a range of customers.

Below there is the screen of interface after installing the MAP packet from System Software package.

I noticed that, even if from Openwrt it seems working and we are able to surf on internet, from the Reforis interface the ipv4 connectivity is down but I am able to surf and ping as you can see in the next post.

Thank you very much.

2 Likes

1 Like

Hello @N1k3a1r, I am interested in buying the same router and I think we have the same ISP.
Could you post a speedtest to see how it behaves on ipv4.

I know for experience that map-t is very CPU-intensive.

Thank you in advance.

Hi @glsorre,

I did several tests on MAP-T and the maximum throughput with Turris I had was about:
600Mbps Download
290Mbps Upload

Not bad for my experience on MAP-T.

Thanks.

Hello @N1k3a1r, it is indeed very good. I tried many configurations and never gone over about 600 mbps with our ISP.