OpenVPN, Plex Server, Torrent client

Does it run smoothly? …transcoding for example.

It uses version for NAS, where transcoding is disabled.

Well then it should be working fine as it is i guess.

I have miniDLNA (directly on TO), Plex (inside debian lxc), Plex (aside on win10 machine) running.
SharpTV, AndroidPhone, Win7(asusrock box), ps3, bd-player as clients (+ actually preparing RPI3 with RasPlex client).

So far some issues with 1080p with DTS on win7 box on wifi (AC3/AAC and others are fine), but usually reducing from 4MB/s to 2MB/s or to 720p fix that. I also tried several clients in parallel from different servers and even remote play. I am very happy with it. Especially when the pms is syncing the content between plex instances (yep i paid for one month of plex-pass to test some stuff.).

Could you also try Emby media server inside debian LXC?

Never heard of that one, will check it :wink:

so far i was playing with PS3MediaServer (lot of versions on different machines) later it became so slow and io consuming so i tried kodi/xbmc/oms and plex. With Plex in that lxc … will see after while using it on daily basis, now it is just short time to tell if that is final. I am giving it one month probation period :slight_smile:

Emby Media Server is the same as Plex, but Emby Media Server is opensource and has A LOT of functionality compared with Plex.

You could say Plex has been made for people without a lot of knowledge about whole technical aspect, while Emby Media Server gives you the possibility to mess with this technical aspect. You have also the ability to use later version of FFMPEG meaning you can use GPU hardware acceleration :). Less CPU usage in case of playing and as well as transcoding.

So i tried install emby server under Ubuntu in lxc. Somehow it needs several packages which are not in official repos (not yet) or in emby-server repo. (it needs ‘mono’ and all depend.packages around … ) . I will try in in VMware player aside, it will be easier.

Ubuntu LXC, is as naked as naked could almost be… maybe it only has a leaf covering some parts :).

To keep it fast…

http://www.mono-project.com/docs/getting-started/install/linux/

I ran into 2 issues when trying to install:

1. I couldn’t do the fix for automatic start before installing plexmediaserver
    See the line: sudo touch /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/start.sh
    So I did it after doing sudo apt-get install plexmediaserver
    Is this a problem?

2. I couldn’t connect to the container and start using Plex.
    Am I correct in assuming that you connect by entering 192.168.1.10/video in a browser?
    Maybe it’s the IP address of the mount? You wrote 192.168.1.10 but could it be different for me?
    I personally connect to the router via 192.168.1.1

Thanks for your help

plex is having 192.168.1.10:32400 URL, and if you do not have any firewall restriction for your Lxc containers it should work (even with empty library)

this seems to be more like URI for Samba shared folder.

To have this to be like main folder for library. Hm, that’s a bit tricky as i already see like three ways how to achieve it. But basically you can make lxc to be client via samba to your host machine. You can bind already mounted folder from host to guest (via lxc mount path). Or you can directly rbind mount to its ‘rootfs’ . and se the rights. If that is ntfs, you will have issues with write access as ntfs runs in user space and i am not sure how it works if reached within lxc.

1 Like