OPENVPN on Wifi1 and Lanport 1-2

Hey,
I’m about to buy the Turris Omnia and have a question.

I want to set up the router to have two separate networks like network1 (Wifi1 and lanports 1-2) is connected to my Openvpn provider and network2 (Wifi2 and the rest of the lanports) is connected directly to my isp.

Is that possible and how easy/hard is it to set up for a person that not have much experience in networking?

Take a look here: Normal -> WAN / Guest -> VPN
That describes exactly what you want - how hard that would be depends on how deep you would like to dive into the system (not networking itself but openwrt administration). But as all the needed steps are described it’s no rocket science :wink:

1 Like

Wonderful, thank you m8!

What is missing in the thread, is how to attach a LAN-port to a network-interface.
This needs to be done via VLAN-tagging. As there’s no direct how-to atm I’d write one myself somewhere in the near future (I am familiar with that but as Turris Omnia has a quite funny switch-structure I need to set it up myself first with the prerequisites available).

1 Like

That would be really nice of you.
You have to provide me with a btc-adress so I can buy you a beer then :smile:

As this requires some work (and as I don’t have plenty of time atm): feel free to come back to me as soon as you’ve bought a Turris Omnia. Everything works - I now run a very similiar setup on my own:

1. network1: lan, VLAN-ID 1 (eth0.1 with untagged LAN0+LAN1+LAN2+LAN3), 1 desktop-PC connected via LAN1, several wifi-clients connected via wifi1
  2. network2: guest, VLAN-ID 5 (eth0.5 with untagged LAN4), 1 Smart-TV connected via LAN4, 1 work-laptop connected via wifi2)

In reality it’s a bit more complex (as it involves a separate managed switch), but breaking it down to the essentials that’s what it contains.

Hi again!

I got the Turris Omnia now. Glad to hear that you got it to work! Please feel free to tell me what to do when you have the time.

Cheers

Ok, I’ll try to write it down in the next few days.
Are you familiar with openwrt?

I’m not unfortunately. But I’m not completely clueless about this things in general.