OpenVPN on one wifi card?

Hi, pretty new to networking here, so sorry for the noob question, but is it possible to use the Turris as an OpenVPN client on only one of the wifi cards? My initial idea here was to create one OpenVPN access point and one normal access point.

Sure if you don’t mind getting your hands dirty. The simple way would be to assign a different subnet to each wireless card, then have OpenVPN only listen on one particular subnet. Not sure if you can handle this through LuCI, so you might have to get in on the command line and edit a few configuration files by hand.

I really don’t see a practical application for this though, what is it you’re trying to accomplish?

Well its strange demand. so you wanna turris as openvpn client or openvpn server? Generally, VPN has nothing to do with wifi. What is your goal you wanna achieve?

I guess @atmos want to have two wireless networks/SSIDs.
One that is routed via his ordinary internet connection and ISP. and the other SSID routed over OpenVPN to some VPN node so atmos can stay anonymous or use a geoblocked service when selecting it.

Something like this:

Is that correctly understood @atmos?

Hi all, thank you so much for your responses.

Yes, @davey has the right idea, one network routed via my ISP and the other over OpenVPN to some VPN node. I will take a look at the posted link.

Thanks again!

just to expand @davey answer for you bit more: - you don’t have to limit the SSID to just one card. In other words you don’t need two cards for two/multiple SSIDs and vice versa you could broadcast multiple SSIDs on both cards so it will be available in both 2.4 and 5 GHz.

I would suggest you look more into basics - subnet/VLANs/routing and SSID to VLAN mapping etc ( get “dirty” as @scottjl said ).

1 Like