OpenVPN no DNS anymore

Hello,

since on of the latest updates to my Omnia Turris all OpenVPN-Clients are unable to reach the configured DNS-server. Also, they can’t reach any ip in lan. Which is strange, because I didn’t change anything for months on the router.

OpenVPN is configured through Foris. The settings didn’t change and seem correct. Also all firewall-settings seem unchanged.

Zone-config is:
vpn_turris => lan | wan (Input: accept; Output: accept; Forward: reject; Maquerading on)

Traffic rule:
Any udp From any host in wan To any router IP at port 31194 on this device

The server-config:

config openvpn ‘server_turris’
option port ‘31194’
option proto ‘udp’
option dev ‘tun_turris’
option ca ‘/etc/ssl/ca/openvpn/ca.crt’
option crl_verify ‘/etc/ssl/ca/openvpn/ca.crl’
option cert ‘/etc/ssl/ca/openvpn/01.crt’
option key ‘/etc/ssl/ca/openvpn/01.key’
option dh ‘/etc/dhparam/dh-default.pem’
option server ‘10.111.111.0 255.255.255.0’
option ifconfig_pool_persist ‘/tmp/ipp.txt’
option duplicate_cn ‘0’
option keepalive ‘10 120’
option compress ‘lzo’
option persist_key ‘1’
option persist_tun ‘1’
option status ‘/tmp/openvpn-status.log’
option verb ‘3’
option mute ‘20’
option enabled ‘1’
list push ‘route 10.168.1.0 255.255.255.0’
list push ‘redirect-gateway def1’
list push ‘dhcp-option DNS 10.111.111.1’

Any idea if the last update changed anything regarding OpenVPN. Or what else the reason could be?

Thanks a lot!
Stefan

Hello, I had a similar strange behaviour today. My portforwarding was not working any more. I had to put back in the exact same rule in the firewall and delete the existing one. After that everything was working again. Maybe it’s also working for you.

I already tried this. Can you show me your rule?

Set up Wireguard in the meantime because I could get OpenVPN to work again. Wireguard was working fine for a few days. But then I got the same problem I have with OpenVPN: I can connect, but am not able to reach anything in the network.
This is quite confusing.
Any more ideas on how to investigate this further?

Wireguard was a misconfiguration.

The reason for OpenVPN on Android not working was the compression, which is now disabled in the Android app by default. Removing “compression lzo” from server- and client config file was the solution.

1 Like