OpenVPN 2.5 is out

New major version of OpenVPN was released few days ago.

Client is compatible with my Omnia settings.

WARNING: Compression for receiving enabled. Compression has been used in the past to break encryption. Sent packets are not compressed unless “allow-compression yes” is also set.
DEPRECATED OPTION: --cipher set to ‘AES-128-CBC’ but missing in --data-ciphers (AES-256-GCM:AES-128-GCM). Future OpenVPN version will ignore --cipher for cipher negotiations. Add ‘AES-128-CBC’ to --data-ciphers or change --cipher ‘AES-128-CBC’ to --data-ciphers-fallback ‘AES-128-CBC’ to silence this warning.

@viktor What would like to say? If we are talking about the server part, OpenVPN as many packages comes from OpenWrt as they are. Version 2.5 isn’t even in OpenWrt master branch! Even though, there should be soon according to this patch in development list:

http://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2020-October/031924.html

If you want to have it included in OpenWrt 19.07 ( = Turris OS 5.x), you will need to ask it on OpenWrt forum or rather better send a patch which cherry-pick the commit from master branch to include it in stable branches.

Also, while looking into common GNU/Linux distributions, it is not part of stable distributions. I can find 2.5.0 in Debian Sid (Unstable).

1 Like

In SW tweaks section? Maybe that is possible to use OpenVPN 2.5 client with current OpenVPN 2.4 server side on Omnia?

My question was rather - Developers of various software are releasing new versions of their software. You should be notified about it through different places, but most likely you will notice that through Update notification from that app. In any case, you should keep your system up to date. What’s the point with it here? You can discuss OpenVPN issues on their forum if they have any or in OpenWrt forum.

If anyone would be creating threads with a similar idea, the forum is going to be overflowed by this. However, it makes sense for security issues. That anyone should be updating his/her software immediately to avoid security vulnerability.

1 Like

It may be better to ask specifically. Version 2.5 is not minor and it was worked on for several years. At the same time, it brings a lot of good in the field of security. And best of all, end users with TOS can use it already now. Which is not a matter of course!

Last few months there were discussions on compression security. I think it’s clear now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.