Omnia Updater Problems

UPDATER has been failing on my OMNIA (the latest ver.)
This has been happening since the 04/22/21 to the present DAY 04/28/21.
This has happened before but in the past but it cleared up in about 3 attempts…
This is not clearing up this time and I have no clue about what to do about it.
Is the latest stable releases updates having a problem? Is it just me?
I have listed a short time span of this happening based on the types of messages I
was getting and got a good repeat of the types of messages. As you can see
the message types are all over the place which is not helping me.
Where do I go from here? Is this even fixable by me or do experts need to
handle something like this?
This router is at a remote site 100 miles away and I will
have to make a trip if I need hands on to fix it. (Next week at the earliest)
Any help will be appreciated and hopefully no trip needed.
(I have rebooted the router a couple of times but It has not helped the problem.)

Some of the ERROR MESSAGES FROM UPDATE.

04/22/2021 (09:04:20 PM MDT)

Error notifications

Updater failed:
runtime: [string “requests”]:417: [string “utils”]:420: Getting URI
((LINK)://repo.turris.cz/hbs/omnia/lists/pkglists/nas.lua) failed: Connection timed out after 60028 milliseconds

04/23/2021 (01:46:40 AM MDT)

Error notifications

Updater failed:
runtime: [string “requests”]:417: [string “utils”]:422: Unable to finish URI
((LINK)://repo.turris.cz/hbs/omnia/lists/base.lua): Signature URI failure:
(LINK)://repo.turris.cz/hbs/omnia/lists/base.lua.sig: Download failed
04/23/2021 (05:30:05 AM MDT)

Error notifications

Updater failed:
((LINK)://repo.turris.cz/hbs/omnia/lists/repository.lua) failed: Connection timed out after 60026 milliseconds

04/23/2021 (09:01:11 AM MDT)

Error notifications

Updater failed:
((LINK)://repo.turris.cz/hbs/omnia/lists/pkglists/nextcloud.lua): Signature URI failure:
(LINK)://repo.turris.cz/hbs/omnia/lists/pkglists/nextcloud.lua.sig: Download failed

04/23/2021 (12:27:28 PM MDT)

Error notifications

Updater failed:
((LINK)://repo.turris.cz/hbs/omnia/lists/pkglists/lxc.lua) failed: Connection timed out after 60028 milliseconds

04/23/2021 (05:16:14 PM MDT)

Error notifications

Updater failed:
((LINK)://repo.turris.cz/hbs/omnia/lists/pkglists/nas.lua): Signature URI failure:
(LINK)://repo.turris.cz/hbs/omnia/lists/pkglists/nas.lua.sig: Download failed

04/23/2021 (09:36:03 PM MDT)
04/24/2021 (01:28:10 AM MDT)
04/24/2021 (05:20:01 AM MDT)

Error notifications

Updater failed:

((LINK)://repo.turris.cz/hbs/omnia/lists/luci.lua): Signature URI failure:
(LINK)://repo.turris.cz/hbs/omnia/lists/luci.lua.sig: Download failed

04/24/2021 (09:19:32 AM MDT)

Error notifications

Updater failed:
((LINK)://repo.turris.cz/hbs/omnia/lists/repository.lua): Download failed

04/24/2021 (12:54:11 PM MDT)
04/24/2021 (04:32:39 PM MDT)

Error notifications

Updater failed:
((LINK)://repo.turris.cz/hbs/omnia/lists/pkglists/lxc.lua) failed: Connection timed out after 60025 milliseconds

04/25/2021 (01:36:10 AM MDT)
04/25/2021 (04:26:57 AM MDT)

Error notifications

Updater failed:
((LINK)://repo.turris.cz/hbs/omnia/lists/pkglists/3g.lua): Signature URI failure:
(LINK)://repo.turris.cz/hbs/omnia/lists/pkglists/3g.lua.sig: Download failed

04/25/2021 (08:10:52 AM MDT)

Error notifications

Updater failed:
((LINK)://repo.turris.cz/hbs/omnia/lists/pkglists/nextcloud.lua): Signature URI failure:
(LINK)://repo.turris.cz/hbs/omnia/lists/pkglists/nextcloud.lua.sig: Download failed

04/25/2021 (01:57:29 PM MDT)

Error notifications

Updater failed:
((LINK)://repo.turris.cz/hbs/omnia/lists/base-min.lua) failed: Connection timed out after 60029 milliseconds

04/25/2021 (05:35:54 PM MDT)

Error notifications

Updater failed:

((LINK)://repo.turris.cz/hbs/omnia/lists/repository.lua): Signature URI failure:
(LINK)://repo.turris.cz/hbs/omnia/lists/repository.lua.sig: Download failed

On and On right up to TODAY 04/28/21 @ 9:15pm (ad-nauseam)
5 to 6 times a day lately.

I would suspect some connectivity issues. Check your connection with mtr tool.
EDIT: I also get sometimes this kind of errors. But not too often.

Thanks for the response AreYouLoco. That is something I did not consider at first until you mentioned it. I have had extremely long latency issues and lots of failed mail.
I does make sense is could be that simple. I was thinking more along the lines of corrupt scripts not looking in right places, and that kind of stuff. Bottom line is ‘HANDS ON’ and I can’t do mtr tool until Tuesday of next week. Does any one know how long it will try to UPDATE? Will it keep trying until I get there or will it just give up after a while?
Thanks in advance.

I don’t think it will give up.

Hi again everybody that has responded.

First VCUNAT you were right, it did not give up it hung in there until I got there.
I checked log files and nothing in them other than the update messages from Omnia I had already received. In detailed nit-picking of log files did find errors I need to look at but no entries pertaining to this problem.
Installed MTR tool and found docs on how to use it and decided to hit the update server first since it was the URL causing the error messages. Was not happy with MTR stats. Great first 4 hops, 3 to 8 ms stats. 5th hop was weird, kept it’s identity from ping and ‘showed waiting for reply’ & no stats. Hops 6,7,8 was at 250ms thereabouts. Hops 9,10,11,12 all were showing 550 to 580 ms stats. Hop 10 was very concerning (prag-b4-link.ip.twelve99.net (62.115.124.27)) it was bouncing between 3% to 20% packet loss the whole time I was beating on it, with a lot of time being spent in the 18% to 20% range. After about 20 min of stats watching, Hop 10 would drop down to about 3% packet loss then bounce back up and just yo-yo ed back and forth between 3% and 18-20% packet loss.
A run of MTR today still shows Hop 10 “prag-b4-link.ip.twelve99.net (62.115.124.27)”
as a very high packet loss hop server.

Then the gurrrrrrrrrrrrr moment. While beating on update server, my Omnia decided to try update again and It happened at one of the low ebbs of Hop 10 packet loss and since MTR had the connection very warmed up, the update came flying thru and installed just fine. ‘Reboot Required’ message pop’ed up while running mtr.
So now I have some data and some possible reasons for the problem I was having but no real smoking gun. At no point did I see 1 min time outs, running mtr like my error messages were reporting. Do I have any recourse here, with that many hops in the chain??
Can I in any way influence what hops/servers are given me??

Last note. Being hyper-sensitive to any kind of problems I have noticed a LOT of ‘file not found errors’ while surfing lately at this site and I just back click and reclick and page will come up. I got distracted once and after 30 seconds the "file not found’ was replaced with the full web page. This has worked every time since. I just wait when it happens and 30 seconds later web page will appear. Is this in the same vain as my update problems only on a smaller scale?? Is this an other form of connection problems??
Well have been way to over winded on this post so I will end it.
Do I have any control of or can I influence any of the Hops/servers I get?
(Or does this end the post and I have to live with this?)
Thanks in advance.

Could you post a screenshot of your mtr log?

You cannot really influence your hops. It depends on your ISP mostly. And the rest of the internet. You could also try to verify if the problem is not with your DNS. Are you using DNS forwarding in foris options or you use your ISP servers?

Hello,

I have a similar issue, which did not appear before.
The last error messages are:

1. Mai 2021 02:00

Updater failed:

runtime: [string “requests”]:417: [string “utils”]:422: Unable to finish URI (https:// repo.turris.cz/hbs/omnia/lists/luci.lua):
Signature URI failure: https://repo.turris.cz/hbs/omnia/lists/luci.lua.sig: Download failed

1. April 2021 00:00

Updater failed:

runtime: [string “requests”]:417: [string “utils”]:420: Getting URI (https:// repo.turris.cz/hbs/omnia/lists/pkglists/lxc.lua)
failed: OpenSSL SSL_connect: SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL in connection to repo.turris.cz:443

25. März 2021 00:01

Updater failed:

runtime: [string “requests”]:417: [string “utils”]:420: Getting URI (https:// repo.turris.cz/hbs/omnia/lists/pkglists/lxc.lua)
failed: No OCSP response received

If I manually check for updates with Package Management | Updates “Check Updates”,
after some time it will just tell me “There are no updates awaiting your approval.”
(without any errors). However it’s quite a long time the last update was available…

Info
|Turris OS Version|5.1.10|
|Turris OS Branch|HBS|
|Kernel-Version|4.14.222|

A check on the Omnia shows
# check_connection
Pinging 62.155.245.4 … FAILED
IPv4 Gateway: FAILED
Pinging 217.31.205.50 … OK
Pinging 198.41.0.4 … OK
Pinging 199.7.83.42 … OK
Pinging 8.8.8.8 … OK
IPv4: OK
IPv6 Gateway: UNKNOWN
Pinging 2001:1488:0:3::2 … FAILED
Pinging 2001:500:3::42 … FAILED
Pinging 2001:500:2d::d … FAILED
Pinging 2606:2800:220:6d:26bf:1447:1097:aa7 … FAILED
IPv6: FAILED
Resolving api.turris.cz … OK
Resolving www.nic.cz … OK
Resolving c.root-servers .net … OK
DNS: OK
Resolving www.rhybar.cz … OK
DNSSEC: OK

(IPv6 is disabled and thus these tests will naturally fail.)

Is this OK? When was the last Update?

Thank you

P.S.: I had to insert spaces into URLs since this (silly) system won’t allow me to submit with URLs!

Thank everyone who has helped with this. I had other issues at this site besides this one and THAT problem became large and serious and took my time away from this one, and with the UPDATE slipping thru during initial trouble shooting took the wind out of my sails. I was hoping to get some WireShark time on on the problem and a few other test. With the update coming thru the problem goes away and no opportunity for more trouble shooting. That is why the silence on further postings.
AreYouLoco you ask for some info and screen shots. The ping times have improved dramatically but the one hop is still very high in packet loss and should be fixed but I have no idea how to get that done. Where it was 550 ms is now down to 160-170 ms. good improvement. I’m not sure how but I will try posting a screen shot.

As far as I know I’m using ISP DNS servers as far as I can tell. I don’t have any values in the section for forwarding set up, so I am assuming I am not using it.
Which is best DNS Forwarding or DNS ISP?

I will try a screen dump upload now to show you the MTR stats.

Well it looks like it worked so I must have done it right

As you can see hop 8 still has a big problem with packet loss. As for the rest my local hops have very small then leaving Salt Lake City it starts to climb then overseas it gets large. Unknown if this is normal or not. My experience first night with last sever hops at 550ms I know is bad.

I am leaving the site now, with unknown next visit time, so I going to consider this post done. I won’t be able to try anything suggested or requested so now with the responses to tonight’s questions it is finished unless any further question don’t required on site access.

Thanks again for all the help and responses, appreciate all of you.

IdahoKId.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.