Omnia Switching Vlans and interfaces

Ach !! sorry :slight_smile: my mistake, now i understand … thanks for help

Hm, yesterday I was fighting with the vlan setup in luci for quite a long time with just partial success.
It doesn’t seem to be straight forwad to understand how to configure the switch. Maybe some “examples” or some documentation (Did I overlook some?) might be helpul.

I tried to set up additional vlan (untagged) for DMZ. Without much success.
To the default config I added vlans 3 and added port 1 to this vlan. Then I created new Interface “DMZ”, set up IPv4 addres, and DHCP and assigned the new eth0.3 to this interface. I as well removed the eth0 from LAN and added just eth0.1 and ath0.2.
According the configuration in luci everything seems as expected (same as on one of my older routers), but I can’t ping the turris from the port assigned to DMZ.
Obviously I misunderstood something. :frowning:

In the end I attached the DMZ on the port next to WAN port and added the eth2 to DMZ interface instead. But I need one more vlan and no matter what I can’t figure out how to set it up.

Did you set in switch chip port for eth0 as Tagged?

in luci you can create vlnas only under eth0. So

If you need more ports in your dmz zone try this configuration for switch:
from default configuration state.

1. create new vlan (ID 3)
  2. add ports for your device as untagged
  3. add port CPU as tagged (under vlan 3)
  4. add eth0.3 under dmz interface
  5. add eth0.1 under lan interface or leave under eth0 (i think if you set eth0.1 then set CPU port tagged under vlan 1)

Configure from port 4

This work for me

I did more or less all as you write, except I did not add the CPU port as tagged to all the VLANs. That might be the catch.
I’ll give it a try once I get home.

Hi all, I recently received my omnia and I am very happy with it, but the switch configuration was very confusing, since I was used to a more straightforward configuration of a switch with a single cpu interface (on the tp-link wdr4300). So, after many hours of trial and error here’s what I figured out, please correct me if I didn’t get things right:

As stated and shown in the diagram in a previous post, the CPU used in the omnia provides 3x1gbit network interfaces, named eth0, eth1 and eth2. The switch connects to the CPU with two interfaces, Port 5 -> eth0 and Port 6 -> eth2 (eth1 is the WAN interface and is separate from the switch). In the default configuration, there are no VLANS in use (all ports are untagged). What you see in LuCI as CPU port (Port 5) is the eth0 device, and Port 6 is eth2. So at first you have ports 0-3 of the switch connected to eth0 and port 4 connected to eth2.

The eth0.1 and eth0.2 devices you might see while configuring your router are actually unusable at this point. eth0.1 cannot be used because tagging is not enabled in eth0. The existence of eth0.2 is plain confusing since the vlan with the id 2 is assigned to the eth2 interface so there should be a eth2.2 device and NOT eth0.2.

Now, if you want to enable VLAN tagging and create more VLANs for eth0, go to switch config, make Port 5 (“CPU” in LuCI) tagged for VLAN id 1 and BEFORE applying the settings make sure to set the ‘lan’ interface to include eth0.1 in the bridge and not eth0 that is the default, otherwise you will lose access to the router if you are connected to it via ethernet. After that you can add VLANs and use them in other interfaces etc.

If you want to use VLANs with eth2 you’ll have to set Port 6 as tagged for those VLANs and manually create the corresponding devices (e.g. eth2.3 for VLAN id 3). You can do that if you go to “Physical Settings” of an interface in LuCI and select “Custom Interface”.

4 Likes

Then… I can not have the same tagged VLAN in eth0 and eth2, true?

For example, this is not valid:

config interface 'lan’
option ifname ‘eth0.2 eth2.2’
[…]

config interface 'dmz’
option ifname ‘eth0.3 eth2.3’
[…]

config switch_vlan
option device 'switch0’
option vlan '2’
option ports ‘0 1 2 3 5t 4 6t’

config switch_vlan
option device 'switch0’
option vlan '3’
option ports ‘0t 1t 2t 3t 5t 4t 6t’

And this neither:

config interface 'lan’
option ifname ‘eth0.2 eth2.2’
[…]

config interface 'dmz’
option ifname ‘eth0.3 eth2.3’
[…]

config switch_vlan
option device 'switch0’
option vlan '2’
option ports ‘0 1 2 3 5t’

config switch_vlan
option device 'switch0’
option vlan '2’
option ports ‘4 6t’

config switch_vlan
option device 'switch0’
option vlan '3’
option ports ‘0t 1t 2t 3t 5t’

config switch_vlan
option device 'switch0’
option vlan '3’
option ports ‘4t 6t’

Hello,

• What’s the difference between eth0 and eth2? IMHO both have the same physical connection.

• Through which interfaces are the WiFi cards connected?

• Why has port 4 a different VLAN configuration in the default switch configuration than the ports 0-3?

• Where can a find the “CPU” port? Is port 5 connected to eth2 the “CPU” port?

I try to verify the layout with the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND schematics.

CU Jörg

The most helpful post to me was the one a bit above your post: https://forum.turris.cz/t/omnia-switching-vlans-and-interfaces/1089/15

The only thing I do not understand/know is what Port 4 in the switch config refers to.

Hello Jan,

just to resume:

• The interfaces eth0 and eth2 are equal.

• The default VLAN configuration is “banana:wink:.

• CPU ports are port 5 and port 6.

Did you find out through which interfaces the WiFi cards are connected?

CU Jörg

Not quite, in switch config:

• Ports 0-3 are eth0 (are labeled LAN0-3 on the case)
  • Port 4 might be the WAN Port, which would be eth1, unclear to me
  • Port 5 is the CPU
  • Port 6 is eth2 (is labeled LAN4 on the case)
  • WiFi cards are radio0 and radio1 bridged to eth0 and eth2 in the default config
  • Yes, default VLAN config is confusing :slight_smile:
1 Like

Actually the default switch configuration is

• LAN0-3 are ports 0-3 on internal switch
  • LAN4 is port 4 on internal switch
  • WAN is eth1 on SoC (“CPU”), thus not connected to internal switch
  • port 5 on internal switch is eth0 on SoC (“CPU”)
  • port 6 on internal switch is eth2 on SoC (“CPU”)
  • ports 0-3 and 5 on internal switch are connected together, thus LAN0-3 is connected to eth0 on SoC
  • ports 4 and 6 on internal switch are connected together, thus LAN4 is connected to eth2 on SoC
  • eth0 and eth2 on SoC plus radio0 (5GHz) and radio1 (2.4GHz) are bridged on software stack, thus wireless 2.4GHz and 5GHz and LAN0-3 and LAN4 are connected together
6 Likes

That totally makes sense. I almost had it right :relieved:

I’m really struggling to understand this so please excuse the very basic question, with the default VLAN functionality switched on in luci…

A wired connection to LAN0 - LAN3 gets 10% of the download speed that I get through LAN4.

Unticking ‘Enable VLAN functionality’ doesn’t seem to fix this though. What am I doing wrong, is something wrong with the settings below? I have no QoS setup on the TO.

I don’t really need multiple VLANs but I would like equal connectivity speeds on my wired connections. I know this is a little off topic for the thread but it was the closest I could find - thanks.

The problem you describe should not have anything to do with VLAN configuration, just don’t touch these settings if you don’t know what it’s all about.

I think - if you can reproduce the problem - you should open a new thread and answer the following question there: how are you measuring the download speed?

1 Like

Hi together

I completely destroyed my networking settings to attempting to configure VLAN yesterday evening.
So i had to restore a snapshot of my turris omnia. Configuring this VLAN is not that easy as i thought…

I would like to have a DMZ on a separated LAN port. So took LAN4 (near the WAN port on turris) for maximum security.
Before i destroy my turris a second time, i would like to ask if someone have done a configuration like this and could share it (switch, interface, firewall,… configs).

Thanks so far

1 Like

@ronald_muller probably best to look at the OpenWRT documentation, has a page just for what you want to do:

https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/dmz

@scottjl thx for the reply!
I have read the docu on openwrt.org. But i am struggle with the port and switch configuration on TO.

• Which interface should i take? I took eth2.3 for VLAN3. Maybe - or definitely - i missconfigured the switch the last time or took the wrong ports with wrong settings - i don’t know.
  • Is the LAN4 Port ok or should i take an other one?

On top, im am a little bit confused about the given VLAN settings on TO.

If you need just DMZ on LAN4 port, you don’t need to fiddle with VLANs at all. LAN4 is directly switched to eth2 interface in default VLAN config. So the only thing you have to do is to withdraw the eth2 interface from the lan logical interface and place it in a new logical interface you are going to create for DMZ.

1 Like

Hi Ron,

Ok. I haven’t tried setting up a DMZ myself (don’t need one right now), but you might try following this post from above:

I’m not home right now, but I might try testing it myself this weekend.