Omnia Full fiber conversion

I politely asked the sales guys for this only to be told there was no demand for it. So I made it myself, now I just need the sfp+ version on the WAN…

WAN/eth3/eth4 are a 1 gig SFP each.
PCIe 1 was moved to PCIe 2
PCIe 2 was moved to PCIe 3
PCIe 1 is now an i350 Dual port NIC, with 2 SFP daughter board.
Left antenna was moved to the middle.
Middle antenna cable was replaced with a 12 inch cable to reach the correct wireless card.

Software needed: igb kernel module, kmod_bonding
Configuration, eth3 and eth4 {intel SFP ports} set into bond0, LACP.
bond0 set into br-lan with SoC ethernets.
LACP failover/bond to Extreme x460 core switch.

12 Likes

3 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

Nice mod!

Following the news (e.g. on twitter), there will be a SFP+version coming in 2022.
(When using copper/RJ45-connectors you could get a 2,5 to 5 GBE with a USB3-adapter and upcoming OpenWrt 21.02/TOS 6 and therefore don’t need a new device, but this will obviously not help you).

1 Like

Looks wicked, nice mod!

Question: do you use the Omnia for routing as well? i see that the eth cable from your coax/DOCSIS internet connection goes somewhere out of the frame of the pic.

1 Like

That looks like this?

I use the Omnia for some of the routing. Effectively it’s my non-business LAN, my core switch is an Extreme x460, which does most of my layer 3 routing. Only the very corner of it is visible on the wall pic, but that’s where the LACP trunk goes down to. Most everything in the house is fiber, including my plotter, so I went with the x460 so I didn’t have a lot of media converters. Covid gave me the time (not out doing other projects) to run multi-mode to every place I had RJ-45s in the walls, so all of the data ports have 2 RJ-45 and 2 LC ports. I added a few more here and there as well. The cable modem is really the only network device that still has copper, but it’s a business line so that goes down to the main switch, the WAN SFP drops down to that VLAN.

2 Likes

For jklaas, yes, that is the same thing. Though I couldn’t find one available through them. I did see a few on Ebay, but I ended up getting one off of AliExpress. I was a little concerned about it, but I didn’t get scammed out of my money so that worked out way better than I thought it would. There is a 1 port version that uses the i210 chip, rather than the i350, but for the extra $20 I figured why not have a 2nd port.
Here is the link to where I ordered mine:

Thanks for the update on the link jklaas

4 Likes

OMG! This is so good.

1 Like

The solution looks imaginative, I would just be a little worried that there will be no unnecessary thermal stress on the eMMC memory that is located in the space of this slot. For this reason, I would recommend using either of the two slots where the wifi cards are now installed. Although only the max TDP 3 W is written in the link, but the card cooler says that it could be a bit more.

2 Likes

Because of the cable, neither of the other two slots worked. I tried to get it to fit in both of the other ones before I ended up with it where it is now. If I had another 6mm to the SFP cage, or the battery I could have used those slots. There just wasn’t enough physical room.

I should also mention that the room is climate controlled at 68f/20c, so the ambient air is fairly cool all the time and the chassis sinks any heat that is produced even when the CPU is going fairly strong.

2 Likes

This is Awesome!!! :wink:

1 Like