NVMe SSD not detected by reforis

Hi all, I got into troubles with storage.

I have connected NVMe SSD disk to Omnia. It is correctly seen by OS, I was able to partition, mkfs.btrfs and mount it, but it is not seen by reforis.
The disk is available at:
nvme0n1 259:0 0 238.5G 0 disk
└─nvme0n1p1 259:1 0 238.5G 0 part

And can be mounted e.g.:
/dev/nvme0n1p1 on /mnt/test type btrfs (rw,relatime,ssd,space_cache=v2,subvolid=5,subvol=/)

I am running:
|Serial number|47244704122|
|reForis version|1.4.1|
|Turris OS version|6.4.4|
|Turris OS branch|[HBS]

My guess would be that foris does not expect /dev/nvme* as disk block device. Is there some workaround, or how can I mount it manually so that I can use it correctly?

For connection I used this adapter (in leftmost Omnia slot):

which then holds normal (and cheap) 2280 nvme ssd disk, seen by lspci as:
03:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Phison Electronics Corporation PS5013 E13 NVMe Controller (rev 01)

Thanks

I probably found the root of the problem, but I am not courageous enough to modify my turris firmware;)

https://github.com/turris-cz/foris-controller-storage-module/blame/master/foris_controller_backends/storage/init.py#L142

Would it be fine to modify this line:

if not dev.startswith("sd"):
                continue

to:

if not ( dev.startswith("sd") or dev.startswith("nvme")):
   continue

Or alternatively, if it is fine to just mount the partition to /srv, and how to do this permanently.

Apropos, what is the recommended partitioning scheme, MBR or GPT?

Thanks
Martin

1 Like

NVMe disks are not supported in reForis, yet. However, for more than 5 months, it is waiting to get some attention from Turris team to be reviewed and merged:

6 Likes

I"m about to purchase storage for a brand new Turris Omina, given this got merged, can I can I presume this is now available out of the box now? I’d like to buy NVMe rather than mSATA also…
https://gitlab.nic.cz/turris/foris-controller/foris-controller-storage-module/-/commit/f5fd2f26a8e1b9e62ad9640d850ecb405df13154?merge_request_iid=27

What is an year in the Turris universum?

After Turris team saw this thread, the change got merged (–> More resilent parsing of blkid + migration to tox (!27) · Merge requests · Turris / Foris Controller / foris-controller-storage-module · GitLab). Seems writing here DOES have an effect on the development :v: - at least in some rare cases :wink:
So it is in master (=HBD?) since 1 month.

2 Likes

Of course it does! Especially for small adjustments.

1 Like

Just to confirm - the nvme-devices can be seen with 7.0:

3 Likes