No Turris spin-off anymore

Sad, really sad in terms of further development…

Well, damn. Any CZ/official source available?

Hell, if they released, or even put a new router - the new Omnia - on Indiegogo, I think it could be a success.

I’d buy a new one in a heartbeat.

Well, it probably is a terrible time to set a small operation like turris free, the economy borders on a recession, and electronic parts have significant delays. Getting a new device designed and maybe build in enough quantity to do validation and testing seems possible, but starting a manufacturing run less so. I agree that this is sad, but I hope the team stick together through this and will have a second go at this goal. (I do admit that I liked the current set-up as far as I understood it, cz.nic/nic.cz seemed like a great parent).

It is a pity for the people involved in the effort preparing the spin-off, I hope this will find a good end for all involved.

2 Likes

Yes, you are right. When we started preparing a spin-off, it looked like the silicon market might be calming down and it was our biggest risk. As you know since then all the hell broke loose, recession combined with what is happening on power market makes planning for the future real challenge, so spin-off has been postponed till situation will be more stable. In the meantime, we will stay inside our parent company with all its backing.

Don’t worry, the decision to postpone the spin-off was made to make sure none of the world crises will impact our promises to our users and business partners. We are releasing updates and working on new software functions as well as new hardware platforms.

14 Likes

The spinoff makes sense for Turris. It would allow the project to operate on for-profit basis which would enable it to compete for a bigger market and allow the team to grow and attract more talent.

A recession may actually be one of the best times to execute a spinoff or start a new business in general.

3 Likes

Fully agree, recession is the opportunity.

2 Likes

Based on which economic theory? It is IMHO not that routers (especially expensive ones like an omnia) are so essential that users will be willing to forego more immediately important expenses like power and heating… most ISPs also offer all in one modem routers for a smaller upfront sum as an omnia. Internet access might not be discretionary spending anymore, but fancy routers still are IMHO. Now if omnia 2 would compete on price that might be different, as far as I can see however it is going to be reasonably prices for it’s expected high capabilities, but it will not be cheap in absolute terms, no?

As you can see, the production of the next Turris router based on existing tech still takes years regardless. I didn’t come here to discuss product or pricing. I came here to just say that the Turris spinoff from cz.nic makes sense for the project because of the market and the team. The slowdown, recession, recovery and growth are features of capitalism.

1 Like

Yes, but you seemed to have argued that a recession is a good point to start selling non-essential devices in a market where commodity products already rule supreme. I am still not convinced that right now is a great time for a turris spin-off, as much as I hope to see one eventually (because of the team and their great track-record so far).
And I apologize, this is a question that very much pivots on price relative to the competition (and relative to the feature set, but absolute price still matters). This is as far as I am concerned economics 101…
Now, it is well possible that omnia 2.0 targets a different market than end-users (and that market is less affected by the looming recession and energy prices), so my assumptions might be wrong.

1 Like

Glad to hear that! Keep up the good work!

The future will show whether it will happen. I believe not.

2 Likes

What makes you believe that the turris division will not be spun-off in the future? Not critisizing your belief just wanting to understand how you came to that conclusion.

1 Like

For one thing, I am based on my experience. I also know some non-public information from CZ.NIC. And by that I definitely don’t mean Turris team former members.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot. Let’s see how the chips will fall.

1 Like

I also have some non-public information from CZ.NIC :wink: As I said, spin-off is postponed until general situation will be better and risks lower. But it shouldn’t impact our users and customers in any way except that you wouldn’t be able to buy our stocks in near future :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I absolutely believe that, of course.