No IP-address on WAN port

I’ve been having this problem since I got the Turris Omnia in around April '17, but I haven’t really bothered to look into it until now.

In short, my problem is that if I connect the Omnia directly to the Internet, it doesn’t get an IP-address, but if I connect it through a different router it works.

My internet connection consists of a RJ45-jack straight from the wall. The DLINK is my old router.

The following setups all works:

1. Computer → Omnia → DLINK → Internet
  2. Computer → DLINK → Internet
  3. Computer → Internet

The following doesn’t:
4. Computer → Omnia → Internet

All of the devices have different MAC-addresses, and if I switch from setup 2 to setup 3, for example, it takes just a few seconds for the Computer to get an IP-address from my ISP. So it doesn’t seem to be a problem with different MAC-addresses.

If I use setup 4, the WAN interface (eth1) on the Omnia doesn’t get an IP-address. Here is the output of the command (on the Omnia)

# udhcpc -i eth1
udhcpc: started, v1.25.1
udhcpc: sending discover
udhcpc: sending discover**

If I run the same command in setup 1, the result is

udhcpc: started, v1.25.1
udhcpc: sending select for 192.168.0.194
udhcpc: lease of 192.168.0.194 obtained, lease time 86400
udhcpc: ifconfig eth1 192.168.0.194 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255
udhcpc: setting default routers: 192.168.0.1

The fact that setup 1, 2 and 3 works indicates that the problem is not with the ISP, but with the Omnia.

I’ve tried to switch the Omnias MAC-address with the one of the DLINK router, and with the computer, but I get the same result. I’ve also tried to install dhcpcd, but that had the same problem.

Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this?

This a (a/v)dsl line, right?

The TO does not provide a (a/v)dsl modem, hence scenario 1 & 2 work due to the dlink modem. For scenario 3 there is problaly a software modem emulated in the computer, or the computer features a hardware modem.

It’s not a xDSL-line, it a fiber optics line which is converted into a RJ45 (regular Ethernet connection) that goes into my apartment. The D-link is a D-Link DIR-655, which doesn’t seems to be modem, since according to this site: How do I setup and Install my DIR 655 | D-Link Norge

you would need to connect it to a DSL-modem if you have a DSL-line, and in my case the Dlink is connected into the ethnernet jack in my apartment.

Ok, that setup was not so clear from the initial post.

It might be a simple cable (wiring) issue. I recall that in the past with some eth cable type I would not get an IP from a router (not particuarly the TO though) and then with another cable type it worked.

Not sure whether the TO is sensitive about Cat5, Cat5e, Cat6, Cat6a.

I havent tried with different cables, that could be worth looking into. I’m using the same cable between the Turris and Internet as i use between the Turris and the DLINK, but maybe there is something with the cable.

Hey @jeingo,

i have exactly the same problem, even after a factory reset my TO is not able to connect to the WAN using DHCP (/var/log/messages is full of “wan (11313): udhcpc: sending discover”.) Trying it manually by ifdown wan; udhcp -i eth1 results in indefinite times of “udhcpc: sending discover”.

Were you able to resolve the issue for you? If so, how did you accomplish?

kind regards and happy Easter

Christian

Have you tried cloning MAC address from D-link or your computer?

Rather, I see it on a subnet collision. Try changing the LAN IP address to Omnia from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.10.1

Hi did you solved this somehow? I have a brand new Omnia received today and I’m not able to connect to Wan. LED is on, but in logs I can see only:

2019-06-05 19:23:12 notice netifd[2142]: Last message 'wan (2488): udhcpc: ' repeated 1 times, suppressed by syslog-ng on turris
2019-06-05 19:23:12 notice netifd[]: wan (2488): udhcpc: sending discover
2019-06-05 19:23:14 err kresd[2213]: [priming] cannot resolve '.' NS, next priming query in 10 seconds
2019-06-05 19:23:15 notice netifd[]: wan (2488): udhcpc: sending discover
2019-06-05 19:23:21 notice netifd[2142]: Last message 'wan (2488): udhcpc: ' repeated 1 times, suppressed by syslog-ng on turris
2019-06-05 19:23:21 notice netifd[]: wan (2488): udhcpc: sending discover
2019-06-05 19:23:24 notice netifd[2142]: Last message 'wan (2488): udhcpc: ' repeated 1 times, suppressed by syslog-ng on turris
2019-06-05 19:23:24 err kresd[2213]: [priming] cannot resolve '.' NS, next priming query in 10 seconds

WAN port is working, I’m able to connect my NB directly and internet is working. But Omnia don’t. Support of my provider told me that there is no dhcp activity on port.

I’ve flashed the latest FW, tried different LAN subnet (192.168.23.1) but didn’t help.

So after whole afternoon I’ve figured, that I mixed up cables and connected WAN cable to LAN and LAN to WAN :frowning:

If you have the option, try enabling this option, perhaps it will help:

1 Like

Hi!

Sorry everyone for not replying earlier. To answer your questions, no I haven’t been able to solve it. Mostly because I haven’t really spent any time looking into it. I’ve tried the suggestion RomanHK posted a few minutes ago, although it doesn’t seem to work, at least not at first glance.

I’ve also been experiencing issues with the wireless network, more specifically that the 5GHz network just disappears. It came back for a few weeks after a bit of just clicking around in the admin interface, and then it dissapeared again.

All in all I’m actually quite dissapointed in the router. I don’t know if I just got unlucky and got it from a bad batch, but at least the WiFi issue seems to have happened to a few other people on the forums.

I’ll probably just end up getting another router from a mainstream manufacturer, which is quite a bummer since I really like the idea of it. Both from the open hardware point of view and the really capable open-source software. But for the price I would have expected more stability from the HW.