Nextcloud broken after Turris Update

I get the following error message when I try to open Nextcloud in the browser:
Downgrading is not supported and is likely to cause unpredictable issues (from 23.0.12.2 to 23.0.11.1)

I don’t understand the update strategy when Nextcloud has its own update mechanism.

Hi @thomas3577,

In our documentation for Nextcloud, which you can find here:

There is a paragraph about it:

Also, bear in mind that if you are using Nextcloud from our repositories, you shouldn’t update the Nextcloud core manually , as that would get overwritten by the next update. So update just your extra apps and leave the core to us.

Okay, I should read the Documentation. I didn’t.

But, the official Android App told me, he no longer supports the current version. The official Window-App tells me, there is a new version available, and when I open the web interface, it suggests installing the latest version automatically. And the latest update from Turris apparently doesn’t even give me the latest version of Nextcloud.

It just doesn’t feel right somehow.

Yes, it’s a strange behavior. To my mind it would be better if nextcloud would be delivered as a pre-made lxc container. Thst would offer the chance of using the actual version of NC and not a one the is already outdated.

Nextcloud is broken for me after the upgrade to 6.1, some kind of php error. See below for error message on attempted login and log snippet.

https://paste.kodi.tv/uqohicofep

Fixed by removing files_external_gdrive
Source: Upgrade issue v20 -> v21: OCC no longer works because of Undefined class constant 'MAJOR_VERSION' in /var/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/guzzlehttp/guzzle/src/Utils.php:118 · Issue #1834 · nextcloud/vm · GitHub

We will try to disable this in the next version.

And the latest update from Turris apparently doesn’t even give me the latest version of Nextcloud.

Nextcloud only supports updating by one version each time, so we have to update Nextcloud by one version with each minor Turris OS version, but we are getting there.

2 Likes

Is stability the (only) reason that package versions is tied to the OS update? Would be nice if your package manager (optional) would support the update of individual packages. So a separation between OS and OS-relevant packages, and all other third-party packages.

Some of the dependencies are quite complex to get right and we don’t really want to test more than one configuration and figure out what’s wrong with each and one of them. This could potentially be solved with containers which would have all the required dependencies in them, but that’s a different question.