I got my Mox Pocket WiFi a couple of days ago - yay!
First, it took a long time to figure out if it had an SD card… yes it does (hidden under the removable cover over the USB port).
It then took many reboots and re-connections to finally get things running. The short version of the story is that I
- removed the SD card from the Mox
- put the card into a card reader
- plugged the card reader into my Windows PC and reformatted the SD card
- then plugged the card reader into one of the USB ports on my Turris Omnia
- finally, re-imaged the drive from the instructions here (https://doc.turris.cz/doc/en/howto/mox_microsd_card)
- replace the SD card into the Mox and restarted it.
Only then was I able to get to the setup wizard for the Admin UI. Everything I did before that (whether connecting directly to the Mox with an Ethernet cable or connecting to it through the router) resulted in an error when I tried to open the admin page.
So now that I can see the device and have configured the WiFi, I’m once again stumped…
I’m planning to use the Mox as a range extender. So my dumb question is how does it actually extend the range? i.e., if I move it to another location in our house, I understand how the devices will connect to the Mox WiFi SSID but how does the Mox communicate their requests back the the main router?!? Do I have to run an Ethernet cable to the far side of the house too? What are the best LAN and WAN settings on the Mox?