Mox reboots randomly after TOS 6.0 upgrade

Has anyone, who had the random reboot isue, tried out 6.0.2?
Is there still the same problem?

I followed the various links on the bug reports and it seems to be a kernel bug/regression, with the chip manufacturer very slow to respond. So my understanding is that it is a bit out of Turris team’s control and it might take time.
I am also a MOX owner and luckily (for me) I am stuck on a development version of TOS 6 that does not suffer from this.

2 Likes

Still rebooting…​​​​

1 Like

Hello,

we can acknowledge that the random reboots do happen on some MOX devices. We have a fix for that, which was not applied in the Turris OS 6.0.2 version, though. It should be released together with the Turris OS 6.0.3 version.

The fix is easy: you can run the following command:

`echo "performance" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor`

Unfortunately, it remains only until the next reboot. After the next start of the router, you will need to apply it again until the fix is released in Turris OS.

Please, accept our apology for the inconvenience.

9 Likes

Thank you very much for this reply

What is the effect on the power consumption? Did it go up when compared to old 4.14 kernel on TOS 5.4?

Is that a fix or rather a workaround? Does it limit some functionality?

Looks like you can find full the description of the issue here

If I’m not misstaken it is a fix as the new kernel changed the default governor

EDIT: humm, lookslike my MOX with 5.4.3 have ondemand governer. So as for the delfault change Idon’t know.
Anyway, moxes CPU don’t consume a lot of power so it is probably negligible as mentioned in the gitlab issue.

1 Like

why not add this to /etc/rc.local to be executed on each boot ?

It helped, no reboot since. I guess the fix in TOS 6.0.3 will be released soon, it is already in HBK.

1 Like

Exactly! Link for reference: patches/opewrt: mvebu: Use performance governor by default again (!579) · Merge requests · Turris / Turris OS / Turris Build · GitLab

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.