MOX changing MAC

Turris MOX (boxed A with SDIO from Indiegogo) changing MAC address of Ethernet interface after restart (without any changes in settings). What is wrong?

How did you find out?

Fixed IP address set in DHCP server in Omnia.

I understood that you wrote about the MAC address of the router !! Fixed IP for LAN client? Fixed client IP address is bound to the MAC client. why do you feel that the MAC client has changed?

What exactly does the DHCP settings in Foris and in Luci in Omnia setting look like ?

Be me is max twenty lease enabled in Foris … and 20 fixed IP in Luci are defined. No one free IP exist. (Some IP are rezerva with non-exist MAC).

Is your MOX MAC adress linked to fixrd IP in LAN ?

I have Omnia as router (with DHCP server and fixed IP settings via LuCI same as you) and MOX as AP for wi-fi signal extension (and many other connected devices with also fixed IP).

After MOX restart, MAC address of its Ethernet interface is changed (and DHCP asign random IP address from range).

Do you have an IP address allocation range exactly for the number of stations or is the range wider ?
It would be good to “accurately” describe the configuration as I did. This way I can only imagine how you set it up.

I have not heard of the fact that the device on the network would change its IP address spontaneously. I can only think of … that the MAC address of the wifi card and MAC address ethernet interface are different and MOX will connect once and a second time differently. Check the MAC addresses of both MOX interfaces and assign both in DHCP Omnie.

Or if after the restart the original IP MOX does not look occupied and so Omnia allocates another of the free IP range. MAC does not change … only forcefully manually.

It´s not about DHCP. After restart MOX changes MAC address of Ethernet interface to another and I would like know why and if it is right. You asked me how I found out and I answered.

1 Like

How exactly did you find a change in the MAC adress of router MOX ? Does this have to do with the fact that MOX received another IP address ?

You have to answer exactly and precisely the questions … which unfortunately does not happen … otherwise no one will be able to advise you.

I believe that what you describe is not technically possible and that this is a mistake in your analysis or procedure… howgh.

ifconfig

I answered.

Yes, It´s strange. And it´s also reason why I wrote.

1 Like

You mean the ifconfig command on the MOX router ? After each restart a different result ? For me on Omnia, as expected, after restarting the MAC for eth1 interface does not change.

root@turris:~# ifconfig eth1
eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr D8:58:D7:00:xx:xx
          inet addr:10.109.54.199  Bcast:10.109.54.255  Mask:255.255.255.192
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:77318023 errors:0 dropped:2 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:44275269 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:532
          RX bytes:103805499941 (96.6 GiB)  TX bytes:7885696387 (7.3 GiB)
          Interrupt:38

root@turris:~#

If you have fixed IP addresses defined in DHCP on Omnia … the change MAC address on MOX had to cause a change to the assigned IP address, you agree? What other led you to repeatedly track the MAC value for eth1 (wan) on MOX ?

There is no other device on your LAN with the same MAC address (manual change - MAC spoofing)?

[quote=“JardaB, post:10, topic:12301”]
You mean the ifconfig command on the MOX router ? After each restart a different result ? For me on Omnia, as expected, after restarting the MAC for eth1 interface does not change.

After restart, one MAC address will change to another. After the next restart there is back the original one. Sometimes multiple reboots are required.

Yes. These situations.

Unfortunately not.

In Win10 is the option to randomly change the MAC address … at OpenWrt there are some like on this issue. Override MAC address Incorrect (interface vs. device section in network config) · Issue #1100 · openwrt/luci · GitHub

If this is not really a HW problem, you need to look in the settings.

Unfortunately this my example below is not good example … so deep my knowledge of OpenWRT do not extend

a2

How is this related?

1 Like

Now change WAN MAC for few moments my Omnia. From 04:F0:21:23:XX:XX to D8:58:D7:00:XX:XX and back.

1 Like

And Omnia now also 04:F0:21:24:XX:XX.

Just restart without configuration changes.

viktor, your latest comments about mac address changing visible on omnia are a bit confusing.
Can you just stick to ifconfig? It would be good to have the dmesg output for that ethernet for each boot. I.e:

root@na9425f:/# dmesg | grep eth
[    0.000000] psci: probing for conduit method from DT.
[    3.798464] mvneta d0030000.ethernet eth0: Using device tree mac address d8:58:d7:00:ca:94
[    3.808176] mvneta d0040000.ethernet eth1: Using device tree mac address d8:58:d7:00:ca:95

to be sure what is going on. As far as I can tell, the ethernet address is set in the DTB, which should be in the NOR flash and does not get updated.

If you are not observing it changing here, then the problem that you observe from the omnia main router might be something else. (Duplicate MAC address?)