I hope to find some help around here even though I am planning a “not-Turris-only” setup. Also - hopefully - this topic may be interesting to others.
- Turris Omnia connected through WAN interface (ethernet, not SFP) to modem provided by my ISP
- a few devices connected to the LAN ports
- a Cisco CBS250-24P-4G (PoE capable, passive cooling, VLAN capable) switch between the Turris Omnia and many more devices (server, TV, multiple access points, etc.) (switch to be purchased)
- LTE failover
Using an LTE modem within the Turris Omnia is not an option, as the Turris Omnia will be placed “elsewhere” and therefore I want to place a LTE modem in a location with good reception and possibly no power outlet.
After a bit of research a Teltonika RUT240 LTE modem appears to be a good option.
Combined with the intention to purchase a PoE switch, I like to also power the LTE modem through the switch.
This is how I imagine the future setup:
Currently my questions focus on “what to research” for …
- Is this setup feasible?
- Does anyone have experience with the Cisco CBS250-24P-4G and/or Teltonika RUT240?
- One LAN port (lan4 in the image) needs to be reassigned to be a WAN interface, correct?
- Is mwan3 (https://doc.turris.cz/doc/en/howto/multiwan) the correct tool?
- What (e.g. key words) should I research, to enable the connection to/from the modem through the switch (probably I need another VLAN and some sort of routing…)
- in short: what to I need.
- The PoE splitter may not be necessary, not sure yet.
- The switch should be connected to the Turris Omnia on lan0 acting as a VLAN trunk port
- While in “failover mode” it is ok, if services offered by my network are not available to the outside world.
- The key requirement is an (almost) uninterrupted connection from my network to the internet (for work/business purposes)
- I also want the Turris Omnia to detect that no connection is available through WAN(1) for n seconds and then tell the LTE modem to establish a connection. One the connection through WAN(1) is available again, the Turris Omnia should tell the LTE modem to disconnect.
Thank you very much in advance!