Lost compatibility with BigClown / Hardwario after upgrade to Turris OS 3.11.19.1

Hi everyone,

for years, I’ve used a BigClown / Hardwario set connected using their USB radio dongle to my Turris 1.1 router with Turris OS 3 without any problems. I admit, I didn’t update the system very often. Recently I’ve had that (too impulsive?) idea to update to the latest Turris OS 3.11.19.1. From that moment on, I am not receiving any new messages from the radio dongle to the mosquitto broker. It seems, that a python script called “bcg”, which serves as gateway between USB radio dongle and mosquitto, is not alive… The usual start command doesn’t return any error:

root@turris:/# /etc/init.d/bc-gateway-usb-dongle start
Generating bc-gateway-usb-dongle config file in /tmp/bc-gateway-usb-dongle.generated.conf
root@turris:/#

But it is not running either:

root@turris:/# ps | grep bcg
15674 root 1352 S grep bcg

If I try to run bcg manually in console, I get this:

root@turris:/# bcg --device /dev/ttyUSB0 --debug
2020-10-16 21:00:09,335 ERROR: Click will abort further execution because Python 3 was configured to use ASCII as encoding for the environment. Consult https://click.palletsprojects.com/python3/ for mitigation steps.

Additional information: on this system no suitable UTF-8 locales were discovered. This most likely requires resolving by reconfiguring the locale system.

So I’m probably having a compatibility issue of python 3 and the locale on my Turris. Setting locale to cs_CZ or en_US by exporting LC_ALL and LANG doesn’t help either, the “click” utility then reports, that locale is set, but not present in the system:

root@turris:/# export LC_ALL=cs_CZ.utf-8
root@turris:/# export LANG=cs_CZ.utf-8
root@turris:/# bcg --devices
2020-10-17 12:35:10,059 ERROR: Click will abort further execution because Python 3 was configured to use ASCII as encoding for the environment. Consult https://click.palletsprojects.com/python3/ for mitigation steps.

Additional information: on this system no suitable UTF-8 locales were discovered. This most likely requires resolving by reconfiguring the locale system.

Click discovered that you exported a UTF-8 locale but the locale system could not pick up from it because it does not exist. The exported locale is ‘cs_CZ.utf-8’ but it is not supported

Any ideas how to fix it? Should I go back to one of previous versions of Turris OS?

Thank you in advance!

Martin

2 Likes

I answered here https://forum.hardwario.com/t/unable-to-run-bcg-on-turris-os-3-11-19-1/626

1 Like

Will be also fixed in TOS 3.11.20?

The version of the OpenWrt version in Turris OS 3.x is getting old, and we decided to continue with efforts maintaining this version, but just with security updates. No new features are planned there anymore. Maybe some bug fixes while updating some versions, but that’s all.

I remember some kind of issues with localization using Nextcloud on Turris 1.x similar to this, but you should rather jump on the latest major version of Turris OS.

If you want to report bugs, they need to be reported through our official channels.