LED separation component to improve clarity of light

I pick up my separator today, printed in 3Dhubs (around 6€) in black PLA with 200microns and fitted perfectly on my omnia. No problems at all. Now, at maximum brightness, the effect is much more less noticiable.

Thank you for the information to make this possible, it can be a great addition to a Turris v2.0

I also had mine printed via 3DHubs in PLA, 200microns (the cheapest option I could find). It fit perfectly. Many thanks for the design!

It works!
Printed with an Anet A8 in about 30 minutes.
Greetings from Spain!

Surprisingly, the opposite happened to me. After opening the case to tighten the antenna connectors, I was never able to get the rightmost LED in its hole. The separator helped holding them in place while reassembling, so now they all fit perfectly in the respective holes. :smile:

1 Like

Is there any recommendation how it could be printed? 10% more in all axis?

It should be printed exactly like modelled. The problem is if your printer is not very well calibrated, the walls can be printed thicker, especially when you opt for 100% infill, because your printer may be extruding more filament than the slicer expects. Choosing lower infill value is usually enough to avoid this issue.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll ask my friend/colleague for second try :slight_smile:

I printed by servis and all is ready.

It works well for me, as well (and I did not even use the finest print quality). I like how the design allows a screw-less but snug installation.

Has anyone tried the version 2 separator?

1 Like

Yes and it works great. Only 3 LEDs are actually ON on the first two pictures.
(all pictures with LED intensity set to 100)

2 Likes

Oh, wow! Why have I only found this today? Thanks a lot for the heads-up, I just ordered a pair of them. :sunglasses:

Where did you order from?

I ordered from 3D Hubs (it’s a marketplace for small local manufacturers around the world).

https://www.3dhubs.com/

Really, if there is a future hardware model of the Turris Omnia in the works, this separator should be installed with the lights by default. It’s great.

UPDATE: screws off, separator v2 on. Works like a charm. Totally NO bleedover from any one light tube to the next, no problems sliding the separator over the lights.

The next iteration of Turris Omnia should definitely include the v.2 separator by default.

[my old message:]
I absolutely cannot remove the screws to get the router’s case off. I was able to get only one of the 6 screws unscrewed. I tried 5 differently sized phillips-head screwdrivers and applied a tiny bit of WD-40 to the area of each of the screws, but could not get the screws to budge.

I don’t know how I’m going to get the case off.

Any suggestions?

I printed v2, it does it’s job. Thanks

I found an excellent and cheap 3D printer person on Etsy UK. Search for CyberprintCreations. This has been my first ever 3D print. Amazing what technology can now do. I have no connection with that seller.

Anyway, this is a piece most definitely worth having. At 100% brightness there is still zero light bleed-through. To fit, I had to wiggle it a bit, remove, replace and wiggle again. I gave no instructions as to thickness of material, and just supplied the V2 .stl file. No strong pressure is required or you could break something. Also, my Ominia came with little plastic tubes for the LED’s that weren’t slotting in fully. I sanded them down - alas they were now a tad wobbly - but this separator now keeps them rock steady solid!

I purposefully bought two of these separators, with the express intention of giving one away to a forum member. Always thought that’s the ethos of opensource etc, and a way of saying thanks for the help I got in setting up my 4G card.

Only have one spare, so if anyone wants it (UK only I’m afraid), just let me know and I’ll get it in the post to you free of charge + free postage.

N.B. Another edit: After 6 months, no takers. Having a clear out. Now gone to the trash.

3 Likes

How knows where can I buy light pipe for Turris Omnia?
I have a few damaged pieces.

May be I found it: Bivar SLP3-250-100-F