Is there a 2 USB HDD limit?

I’ve been running 2 USB external disks for quite some time using a 4-port unpowered hub on the rear USB port. I got a third drive and plugged it in, and I can only see one of the three using blkid. When I removed one of the existing drives, I can see two again. First thought, not enough power over the hub so I bought a new externally powered USB 3.0 hub. Same problem.

Tried connecting two through a hub and adding the third to the front USB, and I can only see one of the drives (not the one I plugged into the front, one of the two from the hub that previously worked)…

Is there a limit to the number of USD drives that can be supported? Or any ideas of what else I can try? Thanks!

I have 5 HDD (3.5inch, self powered) connected to the rear USB with USB 8-port (unpowered) and everything is going very well.

Have you tried connecting the usb hub with connected drives to your pc and see if all are recognized there?

1 Like

Thanks to jork & Skywalker-11.

I was able to get the all the drives to work only after changing the name of the Hostname share.