Is the wifi dual band or single band?

Is the wifi dual band or single band?

There are two wifi cards. One of them is dual band second one is 2.4 Ghz only.

1 Like

Is it possible to order the router with 2 dual band cards?
For example: 2 qca9880 cards
That is what is inside the new Google onhub routers.
It will allow 3 bands on the 2.4ghz band.

We will think about it as a new perk. But I can’t promise anything.

1 Like

That would be great.
You already did all the testing with qca9880 PCIe. It is already working with the Omnia.
Replacing the 2.4 Ghz only card with another dual band should be easy.

Do you plan to sell/support other PCIe card in the future?
The Omnia is one of the few upgradable WiFi router, it would be nice to see a 802.11ac Wave 2 card in the future or a hybrid BT4/ZigBee for home automation.

1 Like

Basically anything what is supported in linux kernel will be supported in Omnia as well. So upgrading wifi cards shouldn’t be a problem.

On top of that on the Omnia site I see:
> Wi-Fi 3Ă—3 MIMO 802.11ac
> (mini PCIe) 2Ă—2 MIMO 802.11b/g/n

How does this work?

• One on-board - the other in on of the mini PCIe slots (and will the latter be mounted at delivery)?
  • Also I see 3 antenna’s on most imagery (doesn’t the aforementioned suggest 5 antennas)?

No, both cards will be miniPCIe-based. Signal mixers will be used so that the antennas can be shared for 2.4 and 5 GHz usage.

1 Like

Ok! Thanks for clearing that up (how do you know / could I have found out myself?) @dhopfm!

Do you (or anyone else) also happen to know what the “3x” and “2x” stand for in the spec overview (of not referring to antenna’s)?

It is referring to the radio and subsequently, the antennae:
TxR:S
T: Number of transmit radio chains
R: Number of receive radio chains
S: Number of spatial data streams
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/MIMO

1 Like

how do those mixers work/look like? i mean: will i be able to replace the 2x2 2.4ghz card with a 3x3 one, if there are only 2 “mixers” on the board?

The fact that WiFi is miniPCIe-based is referenced in the datasheet you referenced. The line break may be a bit unfortunate. By not hard-wiring WiFi to the board the product is much more flexible.

Usually these are SMD parts so they look like any other part. I don’t know how many they will include but chances are good they thought of it and will include support for two 3x3 radios. Maybe you can find a photo of one of the prototypes where you can spot the connectors.

Aha; I assumed one was soldered and the other was miniPCIe.

• Both are included in the Omnia, right (not to be added as an extra perk, such as the 2GB RAM extension)?
  • Assuming they are already mounted at delivery; you reckon that the mSATA slot be left open (as I understand it there are 3 miniPCI slots of which one can be used for mSATA)?

Hey, i got some new information regarding wifi-cards and the signal-combiners:

• the cards are indeed Compex WLE900VX + WLE200N2 (like sbd. wrote on indiegogo)
  • the signal combiners aren’t soldered on the board (“these will be special cards connected to the SMA conectors from inside. There will be cables with U.FL on both sides between the wifi cards and the combiners”) - and there are only 2 of them
  • there are 5 antenna-holes also in the standard omnia case

That’s all i needed to know, guess i’ll replace the 2.4-GHz card and also use dedicated antennas for it :wink:

So do the following specs apply: Compex WLE900VX & WLE200N2 ?

How do you know for sure (sbd = somebody?)?

yup

i asked via e-mail

right, should have written “sb” :wink:

Why replace the card itself?
I would only remove the signal splitter/combiner and use the 2 open holes.

The WLE200N2 just has 16dBm output power - this seems to be not that much unfortunately.

It may be the WLE200N2-23 with 23 dbm per chain (26dbm total). The link to the WLE200N2 above is the half-size one.

And even the WLE200N2 half-size has 16 dbm per chain so 19 dbm total. More than enough (allowed) even with 3 dbi antennas for most parts of the world.