IP address assigned but no internet connection

Hello,

I just started setting my Omnia up and I already ran into the first problem: My modems assigns an IP address to the Omnia (the address is shown on Luci’s status page and in the modem’s DHCP lease list), but the Omnia cannot connect to the internet. The connection test on the DNS page fails completely. On the other hand on the Omnia’s hardware the WAN interface activity connector is blinking constantly.

Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Try to ping 8.8.8.8.8 using your Omnia, i SUSPECT it’s the DNS issue. So in other words, internet works just fine, but DNS resolving doesn’t.

Thanks a lot for your answer!

Unfortunately pinging 8.8.8.8 also doesn’t work, so it’s not only a DNS issue.

Oke, to step by step know what is not at fault.

• Your omnia has an ipaddress and with it, you are positive that the gatewayaddress is also correct?
  • If you connect a laptop or computer through a cable with your router, do you have internet? Knowing this, means the problem for sure does not lie with the network-cable or modem. Giving you the right attention to focus on your omnia.
  • If the previous step for sure is done and correct, then look if your network-interface is connected to the WAN zone instead of your LAN zone.

So let me know if those are correct, then we can proceed to other steps.

Thanks a lot for your answer!

My setup is as follows:

My desktop PC is connected via Ethernet cable to port 0 of the Omnia, the Omnia via the WAN port to the modem’s LAN connector. At the same time my laptop is connected via WiFi to the modem.

From my laptop I can connect to the modem under IP address 192.168.1.1 and from my desktop under the same IP address to the Omnia. As soon as I power up the Omnia I seen in the modem’s DHCP page that it assigns an IP address (192.168.1.5) to the Omnia. I can see the same address from my desktop on Luci’s status page in the Omnia, so I’m pretty sure that the modem assigns address 192.168.1.5 to the Omnia.

From my desktop I cannot access any other web page or ping 8.8.8.8, from my laptop yes. I.e. the modem has internet access. As mentioned above the WAN LED on the Omnia blinks constantly as does the LED at the modem’s Ethernet port. It seems there is some traffic between them.

If I disconnect the Omnia from the modem and use the same cable to connect my desktop directly to the modem I also have access to the internet, i.e. the cable and the modem’s Ethernet port are okay.

I also tried swapping ports and cables as well as reboots, but without success.

Is there perhaps a firewall on the modem blocking Omnia from accessing the inet? Has the modem a DMZ lan the Omnia could connect too?

And run a traceroute, either from the desktop or the omnia to see where it is getting deadended.

It appears to me that your modem isn’t just a modem but also a (wireless) router. With help of DHCP it distributes ip-addresses in the range 192.168.1.x. However the DHCP-server of your Omnia is distributing ip-addresses to the devices connected to it in the same range 192.168.1.x. This is definitely giving problems. You should at least choose another range for the DHCP-server of your Omnia, for example 10.0.0.x. However, why use two routers behind each other, your modem and the Omnia?

Oke, now that we know the problem for sure is not with the moden-router, but rather with the Omnia.

What is the ipaddress of your Omnia? Because at the moment the ipaddress as how i have understood of your moden-router is 192.168.1.1.

Can you do a

ping -I eth1 -c 4 192.168.1.1

What does this, is pinging 192.168.1.1 (your moden-router) from your WAN port (eth1) and stop after 4 send/receive packages.

Also to be 100% sure, can you do a

ifconfig

Remember to remove your HWaddr and inet6 addr from all the interfaces before posting the output.

@anon50890781:

Is there perhaps a firewall on the modem blocking Omnia from accessing the inet?

I disabled the modem’s firewall, but without effect. The Omnia still doesn’t have internet access.

Has the modem a DMZ lan the Omnia could connect too?

Adding the Omnia’s IP address (192.168.1.5) as DMZ host worsened the situation: I couldn’t connect to the Omnia at all, not even to its web page under 192.168.1.1.

@marck48:

It appears to me that your modem isn’t just a modem but also a (wireless) router.

Yes, it’s a modem with integrated router.

With help of DHCP it distributes ip-addresses in the range 192.168.1.x. However the DHCP-server of your Omnia is distributing ip-addresses to the devices connected to it in the same range 192.168.1.x. This is definitely giving problems.

Both DHCP servers give addresses from a distinct address rage. Both ranges start with 192.168.1.x, but the possible values for x are different.

However, why use two routers behind each other, your modem and the Omnia?

As soon as the Omnia works I want to use it as a plain modem, WiFi disabled and pure forwarding.

@Big_boss:

What is the ipaddress of your Omnia? Because at the moment the ipaddress as how i have understood of your moden-router is 192.168.1.1.

The modem assigns it always 192.168.1.5 (I configured it like this). Seen from my desktop PC it has address 192.168.1.1.

Can you do a
ping -I eth1 -c 4 192.168.1.1

root@turris:~# ping -I eth1 -c 4 192.168.1.1
PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1): 56 data bytes

--- 192.168.1.1 ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

Also to be 100% sure, can you do a
ifconfig

root@turris:~# ifconfig eth1
eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
inet addr:192.168.1.5 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: xxxx::xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx/xx Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:745 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:5937 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:532
RX bytes:218841 (213.7 KiB) TX bytes:506787 (494.9 KiB)
Interrupt:38

So to access your modem-router you go to 192.168.1.1 and to access your omnia you go to 192.168.1.1?

If that is the case I think that is also the problem. The omnia receives a gateway 192.168.1.1 but the br-lan itself is also 192.168.1.1. In other words it is directing to itself first.

You get what I am trying to say?

@Big_boss:

The modem assigns the Omnia address 192.168.1.5, i.e. on the WAN interface the Omnia has IP address 192.168.1.5. On the LAN0 port, where my PC is connected to the Omnia the Omnia has IP address 192.168.1.1.

Without being an expert, but I think most home routers use 192.168.1.1 as their own address.

But I can try to change the Omnia’s IP address at LAN0. Is there a better way to do it than modifying /etc/network/interfaces?

Twice 192.168.1.1 on the network will cause trouble and might be the culprit here.

But perhaps better to start trouble shooting from the router itself than a client connected to the router. TO has the LuCI interface → network → diagnostic

from there traceroute 9.9.9.9 and see if it works, if so it would indicate the router has inet connection through the modem. in which case then change the router’s lan subnet to something 192.168.10.0 and see if the client is getting inet connected too. changing the router’s subnet may take a little moment, best to disconnect any client and reconnect say after a minute in order to obtain a fresh lease from the router.

I do also find it strange that you cannot ping 192.168.1.1 while clearly using eth1, which the routers is connected to. Can you post the output of this command

cat /etc/config/network

Hello together,

Finally I set the internal IP address of the Omnia to 192.168.10.1 (LAN -> Router IP Address in case someone is looking for it) so that both routers serve different subnets and IPv4 communication works now.

In the connection test IPv4 connectivity and IPv4 gateway connectivity are okay, IPv6 connectivity and IPv6 gateway connectivity fail (currently I don’t care too much as everything here is on IPv4). DNS is okay, but DNSSEC fails. I assume that’s something about my modem or ISP. I’ll investigate a bit further, but basic functionality seems to be working now.

Thanks a lot again for your help!