If the Wi-Fi gets switched on, then its BSSID will replace MAC address of gateway for ethernet ports

As soon as the radio is switched on then MAC address of gateway for ethernet ports will change to BSSID of Wi-Fi (MAC address of radio AP). As result of this the network name change for Windows 10 PC connected to the LAN0 as soon as PC is restarted.

If the Wi-Fi gets switched off, then ethernet MAC address of gateway is restored and network name change back. It came with TOS 4.0.

Nobody is wandering why Omnia propagate MAC address of radio access point (BSSID) to ethernet ports? That two segments should be divided by bridge, I think. Ethernet ports are connected through the switch and bus to CPU inputs. Radio communicate through PCI bus with CPU. So, bridging between radio and ethernet is done somewhere in core by software. Packets from ethernet to ethernet (LAN0-LAN4) should not reach wi-fi network. Or am I wrong?

Explained (at least for IPv4): If LAN is set as Public in PC with W10 then MAC address of gateway (Turris MAC mentioned on sticker at the bottom cover) is changed to MAC address mentioned on label sticked on WiFi card (at slot in Turris) as soon as WiFi is switched ON.

If LAN is set as Private then message ARP Cache poisoning attempt appears at the moment of WiFi is switched ON (source Turris gateway IPv4 address). If attempt is blocked then result is the same as mentioned above. If unblocked, then MAC of Turris LAN port from bottom cover is written to ARP table of TCP/IP configuration in PC for gateway IP address.

Follow-up: After first setup of Turris (many times now) I got an IP address 192.168.1.1, MAC address d8-58-d7-xx-xx-xx of router’s LAN interface for both ethernet and wi-fi connected computers, well done. Unfortunately, as soon as wi-fi was switched off and on then all computers obtained for 192.168.1.1 another MAC address which belongs to Compex wi-fi card range. It should not happened as I was told by @miska. Can somebody try to read the arp cache content (arp -a from command prompt - MS Win) of computer connected to LAN with ethernet port and verify whether MAC address for 192.168.1.1 (or whichever IP address you have set for your router’s LAN side) is the same as MAC address mentioned on bottom of Turris case? With wi-fi switched on, of course. I have the oldest Omnia version available in retail shops (black case with black dimming button -see https://docs.turris.cz/hw/omnia/revisions/).

As a workaround you could manually set the MAC of your lan bridge to some fixed MAC in luci settings. But yeah it should not happen I guess.

Thanks, I found it and definitely I will try it.

What I found is MAC address that DHCP server propagates to both wired and wireless clients. Did you mean this settings? The default value vary if wi-fi is on (04-F0-21-xx-xx-xx) or off (d8-58-d7-xx-xx-xx) as described above.

Ahoj,
je to vlastnost systému.

V základu je vytvořený interface br-lan do kterého jsou zapojené všechny LAN porty (LAN0-LAN4) a WiFi rozhraní. Pokud nemáš aktivované WiFi rozhraní, tak ten bridge interface má MAC adresu rozhraní eth1 (alespoň v mém případě). Jakmile ale zapneš WiFi, tak se změní MAC adresa br-lan rozhraní na MAC adresu jedné z WiFi karet. No a na tohle zareaguje ten antivirus (protože nepočítá s tím, že by se mohla změnit ta MAC adresa routeru).

Pokud se ti to děje doma v domácí síti, kterou máš pod kontrolou, tak to můžeš ignorovat. Ale pokud se ti tohle stane někde na veřejné WiFi, tak to může znamenat buď že se tvůj počítač přeladil na WiFi s lepším signálem (k bližšímu APčku) a nebo na tebe někdo dělá man-in-the-middle útok.

Prostě to ignoruj, případně si v LuCI nastav nějakou pevnou MAC adresu pro rozhraní br-lan.

To mi poradil Turris Team :slightly_smiling_face:, urobil som to a funguje to :+1:

1 Like

Díky @ivo. Kde jsi změnil nastavení MAC adresy pro br-lan bridge, a použil jsi některou z MAC adres, které jsou přiřazené HW uvnitř Turrisu, nebo jsi zvolil úplně jinou?

Thanks @ivo. Where did you change the MAC address of br-lan bridge and did you use one of them already assigned to internal HW of Turris?

Ahoj @smari , prihlásil som sa do LuCI. Potom - Sieť - Sieťové rohranie - LAN - upraviť - pokročilé nastavenia - a tam je možnosť prepísať MAC adresu. Pôvodne tam bola pri zapnutej WIFI jedna MAC adresa rádio0 alebo rádio1. Prepísal som ju MAC adresou br - lan interface. Keď sa pozrieš na interface br - lan ( porty LAN0 - LAN4 a rádio0 + rádio1 ) - vidíš tam MAC adresu toho interface - eth1 ( LAN0 - LAN4 ). Tou adresou som to prepísal :+1: Nevolil som inú adresu. A vidíš tam i adresu MAC rádio0 a rádio1 - tie ale nechceme použiť.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.