How to setup an NFS share

Hi all

I am anything else than an expert and I like to share a connected USB Harddisk as NFS to make here accessible form my Topfield TMS2100. I found a post about setting up NFS but this is for me Chines

root@kukuzi:~# opkg list|grep nfs-util
nfs-utils - 1.3.3-3 - Updated mount.nfs command - allows mounting nfs4 volumes

Can anybody translate this for a dummy?

Thanks in advance!

Just a tip, the Omnia runs OpenWRT, so whenever you’re looking for help openwrt.org is a great resource.

This should get you started on setting up a NFS server:

https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/server.overview

Hi and thx, but this Wiki is far away from what I understand. I need something like a step to step guide, what to do.

Did you check the first link that says “NFS server”?

Yes, but only the installing is for me not clear, (where, how…)

This section is for me like suaheli :slight_smile:
Configuration

We have a typical client «» server configuration.

Server configuration

Use the file /etc/exports to configure your shares. Example:

/mnt/sda2 192.168.1.2,192.168.1.3,192.168.1.4(ro,sync,no_subtree_check)
/mnt/sda3 192.168.1.2(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)
/mnt/sda4 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)
You can’t use the CIDR notation, so /mnt/sda4 192.168.1.0/24(rw,sync,no_subtree_check) would not work, however the above example does.

If you set up pivot-root or pivot-overlay, use the path on /overlay/ partition, else you cannot export mounted fs.

Assuming the daemons are already running, use the command exportfs -ar to reload and apply changes on the fly.

Start on boot

Since opkg-installed init.d scripts are not enabled nor started by default, you need to do this manually. Same procedure as with most (all?) OpenWrt packages: The first commands will will start them right now, the third and fourth will create the symlinks /etc/rc.d/S??portmap and /etc/rc.d/S??nfsd so they get started on boot:

root@OpenWrt:~# /etc/init.d/portmap start
root@OpenWrt:~# /etc/init.d/nfsd start
root@OpenWrt:~# /etc/init.d/portmap enable
root@OpenWrt:~# /etc/init.d/nfsd enable
After start (and after a reboot) verify with top or ps whether the services are running.
The following entries should appear in the process list:

_/usr/sbin/rpc.mountd -p 32780 _
/usr/sbin/rpc.statd -p 32778 -o 32779
/usr/sbin/portmap
Use the netstat -l command to see whether portmap is listening on port 111 for both tcp and udp. The nfsd process may use varying ports.

Client configuration is not the problem

For the record, the Omnia’s kernel is not built with NFS4 support. This is a problem because NFSv2 and v3 are much, much worse. I already filed a ticket with support (though no answer so far).

Hi man,
Can I ask you, when you fill a ticket?
You know, thats holiday time/

17 days ago, on 10th July.