How to set up WAN. (help please. DHCP ERROR)

See if these posts help:

Thanks Pepe ā€“ not exactly sure how to do this ā€“ if the Turris sits on one of the Airport ports, doesnā€™t it still need to be able to authenticate through to the ISP in order for it to connect to the ISP and ultimately download and update from the source file?

Connecting to either LAN1 or WAN on the Turris, the Airport DHCP is not assigning the Turris an IP address, so I canā€™t even see it on the network, even though the LEDs for LAN and WAN illuminate when connected to the Airport. Connecting to the WAN port, it flashes, goes black for a while then continues flashing. Connecting to the LAN port, the LAN1 LED remains continually illuminated.

Thanks white. Have tried this but the Apple Airport Express is not even assigning an IP address to the Turris. Tried using both the WAN port and LAN1 port connected to an unused port on my network switch. After connecting the Turris, arp -a shows that there is no IP address being allocated by the Apple router to the Turris so it would appear that the Turris still cannot even talk to the local network, nor the Internet via the existing router connected to the Internet. Confused. (FYI, both routers are on separate subnets ā€“ 192.168.1.X and 192.168.15.X)

Could it be that you were also hit by this bug:

There is a fix coming for that but in the meantime adminX has a good workaround.

Thanks again @white, but no, this doesnā€™t seem to work either. There seems to be some sort of authentication incompatibility between the Turris in my ISPā€™s PPPoE authentication process. Have also tried cloning the mac address of the existing router but that had no effect either. Hope the Turris guys can work out what the problem is and issue a firmware fix soon. Frustratedā€¦

hI, Did you manage to solve this issue? I am having same problem.

Hi Simon,

Yes, it is resolved.

The problem was a bug in all the early versions of Turis firmware that caused all PPPoE/CHAPS authentication attempts to fail.

As soon as the current version of firmware was released, I did a firmware reflash (4 LEDs) and immediately it authenticated and have had no problems since.

You have to manually download the current firmware to USB stick and perform the re-flash to
ā€™4 LED modeā€™: https://youtu.be/ZrWzpsxqaRU

Firmware download location is here:
https://repo.turris.cz/omnia/medkit/omnia-medkit-latest-full.tar.gz

Let me know if you have any further problems. Cheers.

HI, thanks for info.

I tried that firmware usb re-flash process last night without success. Can I just reality check ā€¦ does the ā€œ4-ledā€ count include the power led to left of the numbered ledā€™s?

I saw some info on setting the WAN physical settings to vlan eth0.101 did you need to do anything like that? ( My ISP is UK BT infinity fibre via the BT vdsl modem)

thanks
Simon

Hi Simon,

Yeah, the counting LED thing threw me as well. Itā€™s ALL the LEDs including Power. (watch the YouTube vid and you will see) Until you can get it to authenticate, none of the other settings are relevant.

I spent hours and hours stuffing around with all the settings when I first got mine, got little help from the Turis folks at allā€“not even an acknowledgement that there was a flaw in the firmware, then when the new firmware was released, everything worked perfectly from then on. But, the key was re-flashing the firmware. However, this is only relevant if you are authenticating via PPPoE/CHAPS.

Another thing you might try is using your full email address, not just your user name for login. In my case it was only the user name that was required. Iā€™m also on a fibre connection but in my case, I canā€™t connect the fibre directly to the fibre port on the Turrisā€“I have to go through the Network Termination Device with the fibre then connect the Turris to the NTD via CAT6 ethernet cable. I didnā€™t have to change anything in the other router setting after re-flashing in order to get it to connect. Just added the login credentials and Voila!

When you do the re-flash, make sure you give the re-flashing plenty of time before you assume that itā€™s finished. Took mine a few minutes. There no really simple way to tell that itā€™s done. Best is just wait at least 5 min before re-booting. Hope that helps.