How to install nextcloud on a turris omnia debian jessie container (using apache2)

Been using Ubuntu like 8 years or so as Desktop and also as Server… NEVER knew about the “apt-get DOWNLOAD” ability hahahha :joy:

@Big_boss thank you , corrected now!

That’s good news!

honestly I can’t explain, I just launched a new container in my router to verify and the command

dhclient eth0

works as expected…

By chance @j0n4s82, did you update your turris before trying to create the container?

Theoretically yes. I haven’t looked if there are required software available for Omnia. For example NAT64 can be used to implement that functionality. And if only HTTP/HTTPS is required you can probably install HTTP proxy on Omnia to serve as a gateway for those connections.

It didn’t work because of the typo as pointed out by @Big_boss

Hi, I see “root” directory of web in /var/www/html
Should I deploy nextcloud in /var/www/ or /var/www/html please?

@kukulin you should copy or extract the whole nextcloud folder in /var/www/

1 Like

I don’t quite understand these two steps. How and what am I to enter into the hostname and hosts file?! The # in front of the entry would make the entry ineffective, no?!

I also get this after installing all required packages:

Setting up ssl-cert (1.0.35) ...
hostname: Name or service not known
make-ssl-cert: Could not get FQDN, using "LXC_NAME".
make-ssl-cert: You may want to fix your /etc/hosts and/or DNS setup and run
make-ssl-cert: make-ssl-cert generate-default-snakeoil --force-overwrite
make-ssl-cert: again.

May be related to the aforementioned steps I don’t understand.

EDIT Ok I figured it out:

root@LXC_NAME:/# hostname
LXC_NAME
root@LXC_NAME:/# hostname --fqd
hostname: Name or service not known
root@LXC_NAME:/# hostname my.domain.de
root@LXC_NAME:/# hostname
my.domain.de

This changed my hostname and the setting up of ssl-cert worked afterwards:

root@LXC_NAME:/# make-ssl-cert generate-default-snakeoil --force-overwrite
root@LXC_NAME:/#

@eugenio @Big_boss @white @kukulin I am stuck here. When I send the command ./tools/venv.sh I get Illegal instruction at the end of several lines. And when I send

certbot --apache -d yourdomain.com -d www.yourdomain.com --keep-until-expiring --agree-tos --email youremail@somedomain.com

I get

certbot: command not found

Any ideas?

Of course, I’m running the commands from within the certbot folder.

@j0n4s82

Could you try this…

http://fransdejonge.com/2016/05/lets-encrypt-on-debianjessie/

I have removed Debian Jessie LXC and running only Ubuntu 16.04 with Nextcloud. Currently not installed letsencrypt, so i can only guide you through some things that you can try.

Let me know how it went.

1 Like

@j0n4s82
I have got same error on debian lxc and switched to ubuntu following this guide:
https://bayton.org/2016/07/installing-nextcloud-on-ubuntu-16-04-lts-with-redis-apcu-apache/

when you have running lxc start at section 4, and skip 5.2
I also skipped server side encryption for now so this part of guide is not tested.

1 Like

Indeed, because Ubuntu is adopted more by people who don’t know anything about Linux distro’s at all and thus more and detailed tutorials are available.

@j0n4s82, I am not sure if you use Debian Jessie because of a particular reason, although i am not saying it is a bad Linux distro. It is fine distro indeed.

I got a automated message…on this topic when wanting to reply…

**Let others join the conversation**

This topic is clearly important to you – you've posted more than 31% of the replies here.

Are you sure you're providing adequate time for other people to share their points of view, too?

My reaction :joy:

2 Likes

No particular reason. I am doing this out of pure curiosity and for the learning-experience. I may be going for Ubuntu after all.

1 Like

I’ve got a strange problem where I can install nextcloud fine but if I reboot the container it no longer comes up when I use my browser. The Apache server is still working but the nextcloud page won’t come up. Any advice?

I have nextcloud running in a ubuntu lxc and it all starts up fine when rebooting. Would you be able to provide more info on how you installed it all? How do you navigate to the server?