How to connect Turris Shield

Hi
I have bought Turris Shield. I have router from my ISP with PON. So I need connect Shield to this main router. So I connected lan port of main router to the wan port of Shield and from Shield to the tp-link mesh.
I have connected my pc to the lan of Shield. I can working in Shield web interface but I cannot connect to the internet. I see that main router correctly assigne address of Shield.
any advice ?
Thanks

The description is three unintelligible. Looks like there are three devices. Router from ISP - Shield - tp-link mesh? It is necessary?

can this router be used in a bridge mode?

what is the address your router gave to your shield and what is the address shield gave to your PC?

shield is suppposed to be connected between internet and end-user.
if you have cable/DSL/fibre connection, you need something in between because shield does not support these.

3 Likes

Hi
thanks for replay.
1)“can this router be used in a bridge mode?”
however I didnot found this possibility, but will check.
2)“The description is three unintelligible. Looks like there are three devices. Router from ISP - Shield - tp-link mesh? It is necessary?”
However yes. Router from ISP has PON so I cannot replace by Shield,I have turn off wifi on this ISP router, and wifi is distributed by TP-link Mesh in my house.
3) “if you have cable/DSL/fibre connection, you need something in between because shield does not support these.”
hmm interesting.
I had continued with get ready of Shield and I was partially success. When I reboot of Shield everything is work about couple of second :slight_smile:
however I cannot replicate this behaviour.

I have all in default so ISP router assigne ip by dhcp server to the Shield ie 192.168.1.11 and dhcp on Shield assigne ip 172.168xxx to the TP-link mesh which has another dhcp ie 192.168.68.100 network.
Private network is working problem is with connection to the internet.

this is why we ask about bridge mode.

so, which IPs can you ping from end machine?

• internal IP of tplink in 192.168.68. network (probably 192.168.68.1)
  • internal IP of shield (172.16.???)
  • external IP of shield (192.168.1.11)
  • IP of ISPs router (probably 192.168.1.1)
1 Like

Hi Fantomas
Sorry for late response.
Finally i have solved “internet” issue.
Problem was in DNS.
Originally I have set DNS on TP-Link Mesh to : 192.168.1.1 (ISP router).
I had same configuration on Shield as well
I mean : DNS on Shield 192.168.1.1 and on TP-link Mesh DNS : 172.16.1.1 (Shield ip)
However it is not work at all so I switched on Shield to Google dns and same settings on TP-link as well and everything is working as expected.

Conclusion:
My setup.

1. On ISP router DHCP “hardcoded” IP of Shield to 192.166.1.11 by MAC address (probably is not needed)
  2. Shield default ip range to 172.16.1.0/24 but switch from Use provider’s DNS resolver to Google
  3. TP-link Primary dns : 8.8.8.8

note: not needed switch to bridge mode on ISP router . (it is not possible on my version ISP router firmware)

2 Likes

Anyway thanks to all for help me.
I like to see that Turris has so great community.

2 Likes