How do I set up the router

adjax, not sure what that link has to do with the Turris Omnia? Care to explain? I’ll try a firmware update that WayOutWest advises, because WayOutWest is also in Australia and got the Omnia working on our NBN.

Oh and WayOutWest, yes of course, can’t connect anything to the fibre optic cable, wouldn’t touch that. It goes into the NBN termination device from which emerges our phone line and our WAN line (a standard CAT6 cable for the latter) into an existing Netgear router … and it is the latter I seek to replace with the Omnia in the hope of either better performance and/or but mainly greater configurability. I’d like to set it up with my Dynamic DNS account provider for example and ideally find a way to LAN device (by MAC or IP) traffic prioritisation …

Oh WayOutWest, the video won’t play. Will see if I can learn how to flash it but if you know what’s up with that video and can fix it even better.

Try this:

Awesome! I found that last night. Alas found the video frustrating, full of echo and unclear about the precise detail of how to do this. Like what format the USB stick, and so on. So I found this:

https://www.turris.cz/doc/en/howto/omnia_factory_reset

Much better! And I flashed it last night and left it, so will test it tonight maybe as time permits. On the edge of my seat hoping I have your experience and it just connects to NBN when I go through the setup.

OK, I reflashed it last night.

Alas test this evening still no progress :-(.

Not sure how exactly to tell if the reflash worked, but it seemed to.

Here is what I know.

If i plug in the NBN cable (i.e. just remove it from my existing NetComm NF12 that serves as my modem to the NBN and plug it into the WAN port of the Omni) then the WAN LED (the one with the globe above it) flashes on and off intermittently, ad infinitum, with a fairly high frequency flicker on top of a very low frequency on/off cycle.

From the web interface I can devine:

About
Device Turris Omnia - RTROM01
Serial number 47244708159
Turris OS version 3.6.1
Kernel version 4.4.51-627f0117679bc72ef5e58881035f567a-3

And I can see:

Error from 2017/03/28 23:31:07
Updater failed:
unreachable: /tmp/crl.pem: No such file or directory ×
Error from 2017/03/28 14:31:48
Updater failed:
unreachable: /tmp/crl.pem: No such file or directory

Whatever that means, but is new since trying the reflash and may suggest failure. It sure isn’t lucid, like an internal issue, as one part of a script is expecting /tmp/crl.pem assuming to find it there but a prior part failed to create it. Hmmm. Being in /tmp suggests an internality.

When I go through the wizard and try to configure the WAN it says:

! WAN port has no link, your internet connection probably won’t work.

The WAN LED is all the while intermittently coming on and off.

I configure it with:

IPv4 protocol: PPPoE (for DSL bridges, Modem Turris, etc.)
PAP/CHAP username: my username
PAP/CHAP password: my passsword
IPv6 protocol: Disable IPv6

And it doesn’t work alas. I click Next and it takes ages and returns with a message that it failed to connect.

So, things I’m curious to learn from a successful connection like yours are specifically:

1. When you plug the WAN cable in, does the WAN LED stay lit? Or is this on/off cycle natural and expected?
  2. How can I confirm I have the latest firmware? How do the versions on the About page compare with yours?

Other than that I may be needing a support call to my ISP as they can observe things form their end too as we try a connection. But one risk/concern is simply that the flash failed and I still don’t have the latest medkit.

Hi Bernd,

All this sounds exactly like what I was getting before the successful firmware update.

When I go through the wizard and try to configure the WAN it says:
! WAN port has no link, your internet connection probably won’t work.
The WAN LED is all the while intermittently coming on and off.>>

Precisely what happened to me before the update.

It doesn’t seem to me that the update has actually occurred.

Your error messages look like that the Turris isn’t able to read any valid file from the memory stick.

Make sure you follow the download instructions for downloading the new firmware onto the USB stick exactly. My suggestion is to use a new USB to make sure it hasn’t been reformatted in a way that the Turris can’t read and that there’s nothing else on the memory stick.

This is the location:
https://repo.turris.cz/omnia/medkit/omnia-medkit-latest-full.tar.gz

Download the file directly to the USB if you can.

You shouldn’t have to change any of the internal settings on the Turris to get it to connect once the correct firmware is installed.

Interestingly, I just logged onto my router to check for the version and found this message on the front page:
Error from 2017/03/21 17:30:10
Updater failed:

If I go into the “ABOUT” tab on the main menu, I found this:
About
Device Turris Omnia - RTROM01
Serial number 47244694211
Turris OS version 3.6
Kernel version 4.4.51-627f0117679bc72ef5e58881035f567a-3

What version does your Turris say is installed?

Very interesting. Indeed I’ll try again with the reflash, but here are some observations:

1. Still not sure if your WAN LED stays bright when NBN is connected or if it flashes on and off/

2. I have OS version 3.6.1 and you have 3.6 so something certainly seems more up to date on mine ;-). Our kernel versions are identical.

Anyhow, I’ve emailed Turris support as well with primarily the question: “How can I tell what version of firmware I’m running and what version your latest medkit is? To verify that reflash worked.”

When connected to the nbn, my WAN light is on and continually flashing at a very rapid rate, like 10X/sec.

Thanks so much for the update! If it’s not asking too much do you know if it does that before you PPPoE login as well, or only after? Pain to test I suspect if you’re on-line, it is always is for me, no least because the NTD and modem are in my basement :wink: But alas I’m pre PPPoE login of course, and wonder if it would light up like yours post PPPoE login and whether this less frequent on/off is normal pre PPPoE login.

From my recollection, I always got that same fast-blinking WAN LED whenever the NTD cable was connected to the router, even before I was able to successfully log in to my ISP account.

Hi Bernd,

Did you get your router working?

Nope. Just got around to looking at it again today. I find Omnia supprot frustrating as I’ve asked them several times to weigh in here with no luck.

You are my one shining light of hope WayOutWest! Proof that it can work. And so if you’re patient enough with me, can help me about as much as Omnia support I hope ;-).

Here’s what I have collected today as info.

I am on FTTP, and have a NBN Network Termination Device model G-240G-P. If you can confirm you have same that would rock. The NTD model number is on bottom of the top face of the NTD. If you lift the lift off and have the optic fibre on the right and the power input left of that the model number is above that.

Now my NBN Data line is plugged into the WAN port on a Netcomm router and I have internet.
If I unplug it from the NetComm and plug it into the WAN port of the Omnia, then I took a video of the reponse and analysed it and can see that the WAN LED lights for 1 second then flashes on in bout 0.1second on, 0.1 second off, twice or thrice, and does this pattern of one second lit then a trill of 0.1 second flashes every 7 seconds. Unlit for almost 6 seconds between.

I am with TPG as an ISP and they tried to run diagnostics but they cannot see the Omnia, and get a “No carrier detected” message from my line. They say it is not connecting to the NBN box, whatever that means.

If you log into the Omnia and run Diagnostics it takes while and makes a file available for download. If you could do that and send me the file I’d be chuffed. It reports a lot of PPP details for example and I could fish for differences.

In the mean time the router is displaying every 11 hours a message like:

Error from 2017/03/28 14:31:48
Updater failed:

and I’ll hassle Omnia support about that separately.

I would love to resolve this of course. And any help is appreciated!

Why updater failed you can see this:

Finally! Got it working and am on-line with the Omnia. Heavenly.

Am rather deeply frustrated by the experience so far alas, and have an unresolved question. As in: why?

Here’s the low down I’ll share here and in the other thread and with Turris support (who have an open ticket on this with me).

Working base configuration:

NBN NTD UNI-D Port 1 -> CAT6 cable -> WAN port on Netcomm NF12

that provided fine and dandy internet.

Remove CAT6 cable from Netcomm NF12 and insert into WAN port of Omnia to produce:

NBN NTD UNI-D Port 1 -> CAT6 cable -> WAN port on Turris Omnia

No internet. WAN line not detected. WAN LED flashing in 7 second cycles of one second flash followed by 2 or 3 0.1 second flashes and 6 seconds off in endless repetition as documented here:

Two known Australian users with Turris Omnia on NBN, both helping me out, namely WayOutWest here and VoltageX from here:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13586581

and some support from Turris Omnia support staff. Alas no real progress quickly on working out what was causing this and still do not know! And would like to know! As learning is one my great passions.

What we did do, cornered like rats in a sense, with nowhere else to go, was try to replace on part of this system I could and I got a different CAT6 cable, so that I have:

NBN NTD UNI-D Port 1 -> CAT6 cable 2 -> WAN port on Turris Omnia

And suddenly the WAN LED on the Omnia is lit, albeit flickering, consistently. And yes, WAN is up and I’m posting this through it.

To wit, the cable was the cause.

And yet, the million dollar prize (in the figurative sense alas) goes to anyone who can explain how an ordinary sealed shop bought CAT6 cable can run a working PPPoE connection between an NBN NTD and a Netcomm NF12 but not between an NBN NTD and a Turris Omnia, but a different CAT 6 cable (also sealed shop bought albeit a different make and length) can?

Defy’s all my expectations.

My premises are:

1. PPPoE is a rigorously defined universal standard
  2. CAT6 cables are a rigorously defined universal standard

Hence it is conceptually impossible (without one of these premises being wrong) for a given cable to work between two devices and not another two.

The evidence suggests one or both premises are broken and that the Omnia implements PPPoE differently to the Netcomm NF12, using perhaps a core that is missing from one cable but present in the other.

I would be genuinely pleased if Turris could weigh in and explain this.

For now, I’m rolling with the Omnia at last and thoroughly loving have an OpenWRT router in place.

Regards,

Bernd.