HomeAssistant LXC on Omnia?

I currently run Hassio on a RPi 3 and the performance is adequate except for updates, which are occasionally problematic.

There are a few posts about Hassio here, but they’re quite old. I’ve also done a web search for running Hassio in an LXC with a few results that weren’t entirely satisfactory.

Has anyone here run Hassio on the Omnia. If so, what kind of performance did you get? Did you follow a guide? Was it better than running it on a RPi 3?

[edit] I found this on the Debian site:
https://wiki.debian.org/HomeAssistant
which specifically references the Turris Omnia, go figure.

Thanks

James

2 Likes

Hi James,
I am running Home Assistant in Debian-based LXC container on my Omnia (2 GB of RAM) for a few years without any performance issues.

The only problem I recently had to solve was with upgrading Home Assistant itself as they deprecated Python 3.7 which is still the latest version of Python available for stable Debian. So I had to install a newer version of Python from backports. I thought it might be the right time to move over to a Docker-based installation of HA to make life easier with upgrades, but running Docker containers on Omnia isn’t officially supported and I haven’t found a time to test this guide to migrate my installation to Docker: Docker on Turris Omnia.

OpenWrt 21.02 will come with docker. I assume TurrisOS6 will be based on that.

1 Like

I expect that new Debian stable will be released sooner than TOS 6, as it’s already freezing.

I am using Home Assistant on LXC with Alpine. So far so good!

Hows the situation with the use of the Internal-SD-Card in Hassio?
@jklaas hows your experience?

It ended up being too problematic on the Pi 3. I think part of that was that I would end up applying almost every update when I was aware of it.

I noticed a while ago they had a build for the ASUS Tinker. Since I had one around, I loaded up an SD-Card for that and with the backup/restore for HassIO it was pretty painless.

Performance is much better on the Tinker but I haven’t updated it as much, so I don’t really know if I’m still destroying the SD-Card as much. I have to say I am much happier with the Tinker.

I have a couple itx board low power computers around and I loaded it on one of those and have that in my back pocket so to speak just in case. But those still use a lot more power than a Tinker or a Pi.

OK, I have to amend this. I tried updating the Tinker and it failed miserably. OTOH, the itx computer seems to be working fine. I’ll probably keep with that for a while, I just have to find space for it in my “server room”.