Home Assistant in MOX?

It was me, who responded to your issues, so I’d like to correct some things, which now seems a little bit confusing. In the first place, I don’t think it is a good idea at all to run Home Assistant, Suricata, and LXC among basic features that router does on the same device (in this case Turris MOX) in the same time, which has just 1 GB RAM (in your case) as it will go wrong.

We have never ever advertised support of Home Assistant for Turris MOX. Based on the diagnostics sent to technical support as the MOX, I have suggested to uninstall it, because with fulfilled RAM and because of Out of Memory Killer it went to the non-responding state and watchdog rebooted the device.

More details in the Czech thread:

While I was playing around with Home Assistant on Turris routers, I read the documentation for Installation of Home Assistant and clearly, their devs recommend to have minimum 1 GB RAM. This depends on sensors, plugins being used. Before I know that for short a period of time, I had been using it on 512 MB, but no other services were running. MOX in my case was configured only as a server. I don’t recommend it to anyone run Hass on 512 MB nor 1 GB, but only sharing my experience as on 512 MB it was good till there was a new update and there wasn’t enough RAM to proceed it successfully and OOM killer was triggered and killed Hass.

Running Suricata and LXC on the MOX with 1 GB can be in some cases a problematic one, but this depends on the network’s traffic. When the Turris routers startup, there is a RAM being used for Foris, /var (tmpfs) and other services as well and not sure, but you should have something about 512 MB RAM free/available for you when you have 1 GB RAM. As you were experiencing the same issue with the non-responding state and rebooting the router, I suggested as I want to know if the culprit is the same - not enough RAM - before sending the router to us as you wanted from us to take a look at it.

I would say that you can compare it with a smartphone. You can buy it with just 1 GB RAM, but we know how mobile operating systems can be hungry and apps are sluggish or you can not run them at all as they are crashing almost each time. For what would you use that phone? For their basic function - calling, writing SMS, maybe using some apps for messaging to each other.