HDDs are not available after updating to Turris 5

After updating to Turris 5 yesterday I just found out that both 1TB HDDs connected thru SATA adapter are nowhere to find in the system.

The configuration was: both formatted to btrfs and configured as raid 1, mounted to /mnt/nas and used with samba.

Now I don’t see them in /dev/*, with df or with using fdisk. They are physically spinning.

About Turris:

Device Turris Omnia
Serial number :see_no_evil:
Turris OS version 5.1.3
Turris OS branch hbs
Kernel version 4.14.202

Thank you for the help

I had an issue with mdstat on previous upgrades, Manually asseble raid and it begun to work even after reboot. However I could see physical sdb and sdc disks all the time just md1 was missing in my case.

Can you describe a little bit more what you exactly did? There is no mdstat in my Turris (or I don’t know where to look). Also, I am just an average Linux user :pray:

I guess you have installed NAS and mdadm in reforis / Package Managemens / Packages

try running:

cat /proc/partitions
cat /proc/mdstat

It´s not good idea to share serial number of your device.

1 Like
# cat /proc/partitions

major minor  #blocks  name

31        0       1024 mtdblock0
  31        1       7168 mtdblock1
 179        0    7634944 mmcblk0
 179        1    7633920 mmcblk0p1
 179       16       4096 mmcblk0boot1
 179        8       4096 mmcblk0boot0

# cat /proc/mdstat
cat: can't open '/proc/mdstat': No such file or directory

system doesn’t see the disks, apparently scsi modules aren’t loaded.

did you install the NAS and mdadm packages?

1 Like

I got it now. Looks like I completely missed this new section in the reforis UI with specific packages installation. I used the UI rarely. The disks are accessible now and I just have to configure samba again as the previous config was also erased. :crossed_fingers:t2:

Let’s hope it is all that is need to be done :slight_smile:

It is quite a challenge to help you as we do not know what you have migrated from to…
There was a bug when migrating from 3.x branch to 4.x already: https://forum.test.turris.cz/t/restore-raid-after-migrating-to-tos-4/11283/4. I do not know if this is still the bug or was solved, I am still having it fixed as described.
Next, original Turis had in documentation different mdadm config compare to OpenWRT I am using. Thus I am having /etc/config/mdadm configured something like:

config mdadm
    option email root
    list devices partitions

config array
    option uuid xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx`
    option device /dev/md1
    option name turris:1

uuid you can examine by mdadm --examine /dev/sdd1

On the another hand you can have raid1 on btrfs level which is completely different story than…