Guest and Intranet WIFI Configuration

Hello,
I see that turris docs doesnt include Omnia version yet. I am interested in creating two Wifi zones.

One for Intranet as LAN alternative
Other one for guest and their devices. Here I would like to limit max bandwitch.

Could you give me a hint for wifi / network confs? I think no additional VLAN is necessary? It should be possible via two wifi interfaces, right? I have no experience with QoS scripts although.

1 Like

I think for this you would need to use LuCI and there you can define another SSID and decide where to put it. Easiest would be to create a separate “Intreface” for it in Netwrok->Interfaces first, then setup new SSID and put it in and then you can use Wondershaper on top of the “Interface” to limit the speed. Inteface in this context is not real interface bu more like a bridge, sometimes LuCI terminology is a little bit confusing.

1 Like

Thanks… I read somewhere that wondershape is obsolete and best “modern” way is use qos script or something (https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/guest-wlan https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki/Wondershaper_Must_Die/). But I dont have experience with those, and from commits I see there was some bugs. Hope NIC provides some tutorial how to do proper QOS.

I think at least prioritize live communication as skype/lync/etc… isnt uncommon for the basic router usage.

As I dont need 2.5+5 Ghz combo, most propably I will configure one wifi for guest, and other one as WLAN… I hope there will be tutorial also… I have working configuration @OpenWRT on my TPLink, but I bet there is multiple way to configure it and I would like to have clean and best possible way to do that. Believing NIC guys :slight_smile:

Anyway, now I am wondering if its better to have two interfaces on one wifi module, or two interfaces on two wifi modules.

I would like to avoid any problems with interfering wifis (mentioned for example here https://www.turris.cz/forum/topic_show.pl?tid=52)

I’ve closely followd this tutorial https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/guest-wlan, but can’t the guest wifi working.
My main network is 192.168.1.xxx/24, so I have chosen 192.168.10.1 for the guest network. I can see the SSID, connect to it, get IP from DHCP and ping 192.168.10.1, but that’s it. No internet connection and I’m running out of ideas. Can anybody help / see the problem?

1 Like

would you suggest to create two WLAN interfaces on one PCIe wifi card, or create one interface on one card, and other on second? I dont need 2.4+5Ghz paralel, so I am looking for the best solution here (power consuptions, less problems, cleaner solution, etc.)

AFAIK, it should be better to use only 2.4GHz card fro 2.4GHz networks as the 5GHz card has antennas connected through the splitter or how is the device called and basically it splits the signal based on frequency, so 5GHz card in current setup would have two antennas that blocks 2.5GHz signal and thus make a bad choice for 2.4GHz without redoing antennas and if you use just one card with multiple SSIDs there is a better chance to get one free channel without conflicting even with yourself. But if you get two more antennas and give every card its own antennas and you put them on channels far enough and if you are living alone in the forest without any other WiFi network (in city you would have troubles finding even one partially free channel on 2.4GHz), it might be better.

Thanks. Then its resolved. I will use just 2.4Ghz card, and configure gust+intranet WLANs there. Also I appretiate antennas explanation. For my case I can think about disconnecting wires from other Wifi card, and try connect rest of antennas also to 2.4Ghz card to get better signal.

Just as Miska said, i also was doubting the case of the 2.4/5ghz splitter.
If you look at this picture (taken from the LTE tutorial)

You see that for the antennas it has 5 holes. 3 are already connected. 2 are supposed to be used for LTE functionality. As for me i am not going to use the LTE functionality, so i was thinking of buying two rp-sma connector<–>IPX connector cable

Use the remaining two holes and use those cables to connect to the 5 GHz card.

So the final setup would be, the outer antennas would be used for the 2.4 GHz card ONLY and the 3 antennas in the middle would be used for 5 GHz only.

You will then have a 2.4 GHz dedicated wifi-network and a 5 GHz dedicated wifi-network. If you look around you also see it is kind of cheap to get this all working.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-pcs-for-PCI-Wifi-Card-U-FL-IPX-to-RP-SMA-female-RF-Pigtail-Cable/32579073129.html

On aliexpress you will also find 5 GHz antennas. Not counting the 2.4 GHz with it, but only the 5 GHz antennas and the RP-SMA…connector cable…i thinking you can achieve this under $20.

Antennas from China isn’t really good choice.
Use google translate and then you can read this https://blog.nic.cz/2013/10/29/projekt-turris-pomozte-nam-vybrat-anteny/ , where CZ.NIC mention it and also don’t forget read comments. :slight_smile:

When you bought router, which cost almost 300$ will you really buy things from China? It could be too danger and also it could be also made in low quality!
Don’t forget this.

As I mention this on IRC (#Turris) anntenas for 2.4 GHz are cheap even in your local shop (TP-Link cost around 3-4€ / per antenna), but antennas for 5 GHz can be really expensive.

Not sure about pigtails quality from China if there can be some problem, but you never know. You should be careful anyway.

I use ebay/aliexpress too for things, where I don’t expect higher quality. They have amazing price for all phone accesories and so on.

Well you could have a point, although i having the experience of having bought a product it self which had a antenna included. Those i did not find bad at all. For example i till now have bought two EDUP products and they had a antenna included. I did have bought two seperate wifi antennas and bought did not really do as was expected from them.

Do you have some good website where you can get high quality antennas but still affordable for the basic customer? Also are you also referring to the RP-SMA connector–IPX connector cable as also being of bad quality?

Good picture. You can then share difference in results against original configuration (if any).

In my case, I am using only 2.4GHz, so I planning take 5Ghz card out (-power consuption), and then take off splitters from left+right antennas, and direct connect to 2.4Ghz card. Hope there will be no performance problem in using original antenna, without splitter directly with 2.4Ghz card.

Hello pe7erk0,

I had the same problem. Finally I discovered the reason.
When following the recipe you mentioned, the dhcp-server does not advertise a DNS-server to your guest clients.

You can remedy this in the DHCP-options field for the DHCP-server on the Advanced Settings tab in the LuCi page for your guest network at Network-Interfaces (http://192.168.10.1/cgi-bin/luci/admin/network/network/guest in your case).

Your guests won’t have problems if they manually have set dns-servers for their wifi connection. Maybe that is the reason the author of the recipe did not notice it isn’t working out of the box.

1 Like

Thank you, yes I’ve found out eventually. Adding the option gateway under interface config in /etc/config/network did the trick for me:

config interface 'guest'
    option gateway '192.168.2.1'

I can second your findings @marck48 (and @pe7erk0 ). To provide guests with a DNS (they will not be able to reach the Omnia itself after following the openWRT (LuCi) recipe for making a guest WiFi network:

1. Log in to LuCi
  2. Navigate to: Network > Interfaces
  3. Click: [edit] (for the guest network)
  4. Scroll down to: DHCP Server (section)
  5. Click: Advanced Settings (tab-hyperlink)
  6. Fill out: DHCP-Options to be: 6,192.168.2.1

NOTE: The 6 (in step 6) has something to do the data-length of the DHCP option (for more info refer to networksorcery.com).

Thanks for pointing me there guys! Gotta love the Turris community! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I found this usefull, for the DHCP-Options i used the IP of the guest network i created, which is different in my setup.

1 Like

Anyone knows what the 6 means in the DHCP option I described (step 6):

?

http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/protocol/bootp/options.htm

Knock yourself out… :slight_smile:

1 Like