Geeky gadgets for Turris: how do you feel about air quality sensors?

Turris is not just an ordinary router, it is the open-source centre of your smart home. We are currently working on gadgets, which will let you measure the air quality in your home or workplace and would like to know how you feel about potentially buying them. We are considering producing two types of peripherals, which would have the following common properties:

• Configuration through Foris
  • Radio (868 MHz) communication
  • Battery powered
  • Battery life over 2 years
  • User-upgradable firmware
  • Open-source
  • Compatible with other BigClown devices

To communicate with the device you would simply insert a USB dongle into your Turris Omnia, which would create a radio network. The price of this is estimated to be around 40€ and one dongle would connect to up to 30 different peripherals.

Types of peripherals:
Sensor (1) measuring the amount of CO2, humidity and temperature. It‘s price should not to exceed 150€.
Sensor (2) measuring only air humidity and temperature. It‘s price should not exceed 75€.

The data from these sensors can be visualised using Grafana, and merged using the Node-RED tool. And if you are feeling extra geeky, you can code your own integration directly on MQTT. :slight_smile:

Would you be interested in getting our new gadget this fall?
Please help us decide where to go with this project and tell us if you are interested

• I am very much intrigued
  • I don‘t want this, because it is too expensive
  • I don‘t want this, because I don‘t need it
  • I don‘t want this for other reasons
0 voters

We look forward to your reactions!
Turris Team

2 Likes

I would really prefer if you would finish the development of your modem. The last days have shown what all those gadgets are worth, with people unable to get into their own homes as the pinnacle.

I have a thermometer that offers also humidity measurement, the set included an externel sensor for temperature and humidity, with a big LCD dispaly that includes a radio clock and a pressure sensor, for 20€.

4 Likes

That might be kind of problematic as we are not developing modem at the time. We are kind of in routers business.

Something that @Nora didn’t said is that this is just cooperation with other project. We are working on best, secure, open source router on full time.

4 Likes

What is with your project SMRT:
https://project.turris.cz/en/hardware

It states that you are searching for a better way and the last try wasn’t succesful.

You should concentrate on such a project, as that would link really nice to the omnia and having open source software and hardware. Or how about you push your hardware support upstream? Test and implement new hardware for Wave2? Re-release a LTE-Adapter? All projects that I’m sure would be way more welcome in the community than an overprices thermometer (there are complete online weather stations for only slightly more than your thermometer that’ able to measure humidity: https://www.amazon.de/Oregon-Scientific-Wetterstation-mobilem-126x31x93/dp/B00AIEB3C2)

And if you are working on the router, why isn’t the documentation up to date and I haven’t gotten an answer to my question till today:
https://forum.test.turris.cz/t/ip-domain-blacklists-and-how-to-modify-or-disable-them/4485/13
When I sent an E-Mail I just got the answer I should check git, but when I did that all the linked files were wrong and had different locations or names and the needed configuration was nowhere described.

1 Like

This project is on hold probably for good. As hardware we can get hands on is not fast enough and it would just lead to overpriced slow modem. So no we are not currently working on modem.

Because we are short on staff. We are improving it step by step. What part of documentation seems to you being out of date? We have commonly more pressing problems in documentation as for example clearly not enough of it.

First, in most cases you won’t get answer on forum from Turris team, not even if you explicitly ask for it as there is no time to read forum and answering every request. Forum is for community and we stated here multiple times that if you want to have answer from Turris developers, you have to contact us trough support. And that is what you did, so where is the problem?

Oh here is the problem. I wasn’t handling you ticket and I am not right person to answer it (also reason why you should contact us trough support as in such case you are funnelled to appropriate person). But as you wrote, we answered. You were disappointed with answer and did you send us those disappointments in some constructive way? If you were directed to git it seems to me as you had to formulate it the way you are interested to implementation details.

You kind of missed the point. The point is that although we are the one propagating it here now, we are not the one really making it. It’s Bigclown’s hardware and their software developers also work on integration. So no, we are not bleeding any developer’s time to get this done.

Personally I do not like radio devices.
Communication is not as reliable as I would like it to be (I have Danfoss Connect system installed and I had to install Z-Wave repeater to have all devices connected to Omnia).
I also do not like monitoring if all devices work and which of them require battery replacement.

But I have lots of sensors at home. All of them connected to Omnia via USB (now I’m testing new version via I2C header).
Using I2C you can connect:

• up to 4 DS2482 1-wire controller and almost any number of DS18B20 temperature sensors - ~$1 each
  • Bosh BME 280 (humidity, temperature, pressure) - ~$10 soldered to board
  • up to 4 HDC1010 humidity and temperautre sensors (more accurate than Bosh) - < $10 soldered to board
  • up to 3 TSL2561 light sensors - < $10 soldered to board
  • small weather station (wind and rain) - it cost me about $100 + own circuts with AtMEGA to collect data and share with Omnia via I2C
  • much more

Advantages: using I2C you have to solder it together and programming itself is on Omnia (Debian container) - simple C++ application, that can communicate with devices, easy to debug and extend.
Disadvantages: you have to connect lots of wires at home; I put lots of UTP cable when I did renovation.

1 Like

A better selection of air quality parameters would include O3 and PM2.5! These are the parameters of interest in my environment.

1 Like

The problem was that I voiced my problems in a way I think was really polite and your support just stopped answering!

Why? i do not know, even a second mail with the same content wasn’t answered, so now I am a little frustrated.

You should really update the documentation for your included firewall with automatic blacklist and how to whitelist certain domains your users deem safe, like the forum in my initial post.

I will pass this request to our documentarist. But we have more pressing topics to write so I can’t promisse that it will be any time soon.

1 Like

Smart home functionality is welcome.

1 Like

@cynerd is Grafana compiled for Turris Omnia already available for the download? I’d like to install it.

I wasn’t exactly checking it so I am not sure if BC doesn’t have it but I suspect that they will provide it trough lxc container. So if you need it I would suggest you to do the same. Choose you favorite linux distribution and install graphana in it.

@cynerd hehe. At least for ubuntu and debian only pretty old 2.6.0 release available for arm architecture. It doesn’t even work out of the box: [Installation] Blank screen at login - Grafana Labs Community Forums

That’s why I was asking about the native build.

P.S. However I’ve found one that works: Release v4.4.3 (pi 2&3 on raspbian/wheezy&jessie) · fg2it/grafana-on-raspberry · GitHub
P.P.S. It works just fine

1 Like

We are using Grafana from abovementioned source (same way as in RPi) in lxc container.
You can find installation procedure in BigClown documentation.
For USB Dongle and Sensor you can expect integration into Foris.

1 Like

I kinda avoid radio based devices (also only enable WLAN when needed). A cable based option may be fine for me.

Be warned, those products are designed for radio and baterry operation. But you can still disable radio (as you do for WLAN) and stick to USB cable even with Sensor product.

A price tag of max 75 EUR for a “simple” wireless indoor temperature and humidity sensor sounds kind of crazy.

Yes the BigCown modules are modular, yes, they seem to have good precision. But to have a “simple” temperature and humidity reading in 5 rooms you already look at a 375 EUR price tag. It looks like other project, like AAduino were able to cut the “fat” to create simple sensor nodes.

I really like the whole idea of new gadgets, but at this price point I doubt it will have a huge uptake. Or you need a lot of richer geeks.

1 Like

The number (1) (with CO2) is super great idea and I would want that very much, depends of course on the actual price. I am aware it says DO NOT EXCEED 150eur, which can mean it is gonna be cheaper, but I do not see a reason why it should exceed 80eur like for example this: https://shop.openenergymonitor.com/vthings-co2-temperature-and-pressure-node-wifi-mqtt-emoncms/ Or is it gonna be two times better? :slight_smile:
Number 2 I am not that sure, there is thousands of temperature/humidity monitor options to choose from, all of them I know of much cheaper than 75eur.
Thanks for asking :slight_smile:

Regarding CO2 main diffrences are in sensor NDIR sensor LP8 vs CM1106 CO2 Sensor:

• accuracy, precission, range
  • power consumption (battery operation optimization)
  • 10 years TCO

You can prefere purchase price or complete operation cost.
With products designed for consuption (optimized for purchase price only) you get usualy higher TCO for several years operation compared to products designed for sustainability.
Choice is yours.

We are aware there will be always discount markets where purchase price is the only decision parameter - fast buy-trash cycles. And that is also opportunity to differentiate for our products.

Sure there are plenty of platforms designed/optimized with various criteria.
You can find even “cheaper” electronics with low quality components without warranty.
Our focus differs, we optimize for TCO.

Attached you can find rough comparison of some platforms https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5anhAc53uVZMlItUEthN29iWjg

1 Like