Feature request: MOX integrated UPS

Hi,

We use several MOXs for our projects and this device suits us very well with its flexibility. Quite powerful CPU with support for containers. But we have found several times that a module with an independent power supply would be very useful. Something like an “integrated UPS”.

After a long search, we found some similar solutions that would help to be a reference to the design of the new MOX module.

There are relatively similar solutions for raspberry computers (and other SBCs). But they are usually only with 5V output and lack many details that are very useful for use with MOX.

And then we wrote down requirements that would be useful for us and other MOX users. Here there are:

Advantages of that solution:

• Possibility of controlled shutdown
  • Emergency power for transient power fails
  • Power loss notification, sending and/or saving of important data
  • Completion of important operations
  • Compactness and design of MOX
  • Next independent power input
  • Backed-up power output

Specification:

Two cells of Li-Ion batteries in 18650 case

• Capacity around 3600 mAh
  • Sufficient to run over 2 hours (It depends on the load and consumption of other connected devices)
  • Replaceable (for advanced users)

Complete battery management

• Measuring, charging, protection of cells
  • Management over MOXTET bus (probably I2C or SPI)

Independent “high-current” input power source

Similar to the power input on the F MOX module

• Faster charging off MOXTET bus
  • Ideally wide input voltage range (8-18V) for direct use in the car or with some MPTT solar tracker.
  • Current max 5A
  • This voltage should be preferred before “system voltage” on the MOXTET bus
  • Second redundant input

Charging

• Adjustable charging current depending on the power input
    1. Own input (Barrel DC connector; raised charging current)
    2. MOXTET bus (standard charging current)
    3. PoE over MOXTET bus (Reduced charging current)
  • Monitored charging

MOXTET bus 12V supply

• Complete and independent power supply via MOXTET bus
  • Ensuring sufficient power supply in the absence of an external source
  • After some search, I found this development board: PMP8921 reference design | TI.com - it corresponds to my idea quite well. (similar design is PMP11479 reference design | TI.com )
  • Possibility of disconnecting the “battery power supply” for MOX after switching off the MOX from SW and the possibility of switching on the power supply with the button. After turning on the external power, the MOX output should turn on itself.

12V stabilized output

• To power the previous network element (typically (xDSL, LTE, other…) modems, …)
  • To ensure a permanent internet connection and the availability of services on MOX.
  • Max current output 1.5A
  • Standalone power supply (independent to MOX internal MOXTET power supply)
  • Software controlled (allow to detach this output)
  • It is also possible to spin the design from the same TI board

Physical realization and connection

There are two possible ways. It is currently unclear to me what is the best.

• Own MOX module (MOXTET bus)
    • Probably batteries could fit in that space
      • If not - the module would be a wider “2U module” (as MOX E module)
    • At the end of MOX MOXTET row (minimum bus requirements)
    • Good physical endurance
    • MOXTET bus access
    • Possibility of connection of two (multiple) modules (Assume change of I2C addresses with header)
    • Preserving MOX design
    • LED status indicator
  • Connection through GPIO headers
    • Absence of MOXTET bus

Software

• Handling like standard UPS
  • Reading of measured values (remaining capacity, current in/out, voltage, battery temperature …)
  • Control of battery parameters setup - Capacity, max/min voltage, changing current, …
  • Control of outputs - When to disconnect 12V output, when to power-off mox, …

I would like to know if there would be interest in such a thing (from the community and from CZ.NIC), because I think that it is quite a useful MOX module.

3 Likes

A nice idea. However, i think that normal UPS is a better solution because in case of a power failure a power back up just for the router might not be enough. What help is a running router when computer, monitor, NAS and so on are breaking down?
But if your are running the router as NAS than it may be useful when the router supports communication with the UPS for monitoring and controlled shut down.

Hello, I like the idea and it looks thoughtfully detailed. I use Mox and the fact is that such a thing would be quite useful.

Despite that, I have to oppose to the answers from @forenuser. That is enough for many people today. To backup only MOX (Wifi-AP) and some modem (internet source). Today, many people work on laptops/tablets/smartphones that have their own battery. And the monitor … will last for a while without a secondary monitor. The desktop computers and monitors have large power consumption. So there makes sense to have your own backup power supply (if needed).

Today, mox can largely replace NAS services (nextcloud, site hosting, simple web applications, …)
Even today, there are many places where the electrical network is very unstable and there are power outages.

I can very much imagine the usefulness of this thing. Whether it’s just the compactness and design of MOX or it’s mechanical durable, no additional wiring, …

If such a thing got on the market, I would definitely be interested in it. I believe that CZ.NC could also took this thing as marketing. That they have a network gateway with a built-in UPS/battery for selfpowering.

If you want or need to go online you will need a powered modem (obviously). So as long as there is no xDSL or DOCSIS modem option for the MOX or the SIM option is installed just a MOX power back is not enough.

That’s what I like about it. The original comment mentions the output for such a device.

I think the average consumption of such device is enough small to run it quite long.

And I think the LTE modem for Omnia should work in MOX as well (in MOX-G)

He also wrote of an max. current output of 1.5A. I have no xDSL modem for comparison but at least my DOCSIS modem requires 12V, 2A.

Don’t get me wrong, i like the idea and i know that this is a brainstorming phase.

Yes, I had written 1.5A@12V but it is a starting point for a discussion. I think there are plenty of modems that are satisfied by 18W power input.