Failure during LXC container creation using lxc-create

I am unable to create LXC container using ArchLinux template, getting tar errors:

lxc-create -t download -n archlinux

results in following:

… (a looot tar errors same like following one)
tar: Ignoring unknown extended header keyword 'SCHILY.fflags’
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
lxc-create: lxccontainer.c: create_run_template: 1201 container creation template for archlinux failed
lxc-create: lxc_create.c: main: 274 Error creating container archlinux

Is there a way I can make it work or is it problem with turris container?

I have the same Problem!
Debian Jessie works for me! But Arch Linux don’t!

Unfortunately I think you need to wait and be patient.

ArchLinuxArm should be included in LuCI and it will be included in TurrisOS 3.7. Hopefully this issue will be fixed, too.

This is one of the first things I tested since the update, but I still get the same errors. Did anyone get different outcome?

Then send email to tech.support(at)turris(dot)cz to solve this issue.

It seems to be an issue regarding archives created using BSD tar and untarred with GNU tar on the Onmina

https://github.com/yarnpkg/yarn/issues/770#issuecomment-309219076

I was able to modify /usr/share/lxc/templates/lxc-download to get the ArchLinux rootfs to untar successfully by completely ignoring the return status of the tar command by wrapping the untar in a subshell.

I don’t recommend this as a real fix, but it can work as a once-off so long as you are experiencing this same issue and would really like an ArchLinux container ASAP.

See below for the diff.

root@turris:~# diff /usr/share/lxc/templates/lxc-download /usr/share/lxc/templates/lxc-download.backup 
497c497,498
< echo $(tar --numeric-owner --warning=no-unknown-keyword -xpJf ${LXC_CACHE_PATH}/rootfs.tar.xz -C ${LXC_ROOTFS})
---
> tar --numeric-owner -xpJf \
>     ${LXC_CACHE_PATH}/rootfs.tar.xz -C ${LXC_ROOTFS}
1 Like

It is working now (if you ignore the repeated error message about the archive format).