Enterprise Wi-Fi does not work with Mox SDIO Wi-Fi

I’m trying to set up 802.1x-based Wi-Fi on the SDIO Wi-Fi module.

With standard setup like this from documentation:

config wifi-iface
        option device 'radio0'
        option mode 'ap'
        option ssid 'Test8021xNetwork'
        option network 'lan'
        option encryption 'wpa2'
        option server '192.168.1.10'
        option key 'MyClientPassword'

I get those errors everytime somebody tries to log in, their association request is rejected and a line like this is logged:

hostapd: handle_probe_req: send failed

When I change encryption to wpa2+ccmp, it looks slightly better, the authentication through RADIUS works, but then, in the COMPLETE state, it gets somehow stuck:

18:19:12 turrisMOX hostapd: wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-EAP-STARTED 60:f6:77:b3:e6:79
18:19:12 turrisMOX hostapd: wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-EAP-PROPOSED-METHOD vendor=0 method=1
18:19:14 turrisMOX hostapd: nl80211: NL80211_ATTR_STA_VLAN (addr=60:f6:77:b3:e6:79 ifname=wlan0 vlan_id=0) failed: -524 (No error information)
18:19:16 turrisMOX hostapd: wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-EAP-RETRANSMIT2 60:f6:77:b3:e6:79
18:19:22 turrisMOX hostapd: wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-EAP-RETRANSMIT2 60:f6:77:b3:e6:79
18:19:34 turrisMOX hostapd: wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-EAP-RETRANSMIT2 60:f6:77:b3:e6:79

The exactly same setup works flawlessly in Turris Omnia (with Turris OS 3.x). Unforturnatelly, I don’t have PCI-E Wi-Fi connected to Mox yet, so I cannot tell whether it is the issue of SDIO Wi-Fi only or general problem in Turris OS 4.x.

Hi!

Just for me to understand: This is a second AP on the same radio0 device, right?

I have seen the same errors (hostapd: handle_probe_req: send failed) when I tried to run multiple SSIDs on the same interface. There is a solution - DRCS, but it seems not to be working with the current version of the mwifiex firmware. We are working on getting newer firmware with multi-SSID and DRCS support.

Tomas

I have seen the same errors (hostapd: handle_probe_req: send failed) when I tried to run multiple SSIDs on the same interface.

Yes, I discovered that multiple SSIDs is completely broken. Not even two WPA-PSK networks can operate on one SDIO radio. But even with one SSID, the 802.1x cannot proceed correctly, it will get stuck with CTRL-EVENT-EAP-RETRANSMIT2 phase.

So after update for firmware, there is a chance the netbooted MOX will offer guest wifi?

1 Like