Converting default LAN to VLAN1 wirelessly

Hi,

Sorry to open just another topic on this but I didn’t find the answer and it’s not working for me. My goal is to create default VLAN for (generic)LAN, separate VLAN for IoT and maybe in the future another for guest, etc.

So for the start I’m just trying to convert LAN from br-lan to br-lan.1 using frequently mentioned hagrid’s post using LuCI but it always fail to save&apply and gets reverted.

My question is if it’s not working because I’m connected over WLAN and it take longer time to apply or if the radio also needs to be restarted to work properly? (It’s not possible for me to do it over LAN atm)

Or I need to create at least one other VLAN (and interface for it and so on) from the beginning ?

/etc/config/network
config interface 'loopback'
        option proto 'static'
        option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
        option netmask '255.0.0.0'
        option device 'lo'

config globals 'globals'
        option ula_prefix 'fd2c:48bf:4430::/48'

config interface 'lan'
        option proto 'static'
        option ip6assign '60'
        option _turris_mode 'managed'
        list ipaddr '192.168.1.1/24'
        option device 'br-lan'

config interface 'wan'
        option proto 'dhcp'
        option ipv6 '1'
        option device 'eth2'

config interface 'wan6'
        option proto 'dhcpv6'
        option reqaddress 'try'
        option reqprefix 'auto'
        option device '@wan'

config device 'br_lan'
        option name 'br-lan'
        option bridge_empty '1'
        list ports 'lan0'
        list ports 'lan1'
        list ports 'lan2'
        list ports 'lan3'
        list ports 'lan4'
        option type 'bridge'

config interface 'docker'
        option proto 'none'
        option device 'docker0'

config device
        option type 'bridge'
        option name 'docker0'

You need to set untagged VLAN on ports you want them to be part of that VLAN.

So for example you set your br-lan.1 for your LAN interface and in Device tab in Luci in Network you have to set the ports as Untagged VLAN 1. Basically for your WLAN interface and it should succeed.

And then you do an IOT interface on lets say br-lan.2 and set VLAN 2 untagged on your wifi IOT

I will post my config tomorrow if you dont manage alone

That’s what I’m also doing - as described in mentioned post/guide. But there’s nothing about WLAN as it seems to be dependent to config of chosen lan interface

Config I posted is before changes.

No it is not. Add manually wlan0 and wlan1 to br-lan and you will see it in VLAN filtering tab OR set network in Wireless settings to br-lan.1

1 Like

Hallelujah

Thank you.

For anyone else wondering (but maybe it’s obvious for anyone else :slight_smile: ).

This is example what @AreYouLoco meant by manual addition. I had to type wlan0 and wlan1 (my primary WLANs) into the “custom” field (and assign them to VLAN in “Bridge VLAN filtering” together with LAN ports on top of hagrid’s guide mentioned in first post):

1 Like

Ok, quick update - I will probably not convert it now as I’ve run into some issues (for example I was not able to connect or stream and even not discover my smartradio from my phone), I’ve made multiple changes so I don’t know which one caused it so I’ve rolled back and now trying and checking one by one. But from what I’ve been suspecting it seems that openwrt or turris has some issues with broadcast or multicast when using VLAN (or something more has to be configured to work properly)

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.