Constant rebooting since 3.8

I’m creating this a placeholder for the discussion.

Twice now I’ve found my Turris 1.0 in a reboot loop. It stays up 3 minutes and then reboots.

The first time it seemed to cure itself. The second time I left it for half an hour and it didn’t fix itself. Eventually physically unplugging the power, waiting a few seconds, then plugging it back in worked.

Basic description: Almost factory Turris 1.0, running MWAN3 over two external connections configured as 2 X static IP (yes, I realise I have double-NAT).

2 Likes

I’m getting random reboots from minutes to hours. It never happened before. I have Turris 1.0, almost default hw and sw configuration. There is nothing interested in /var/log/messages before reboot.

1 Like

I’m experiencing the same with Turris 1.0. I have suspected damaged HW since I have my own power supply, but it might not be the case. There are some non-informative kernel messages on the serial console before the reboot. I’ll post it when I have my router on me.

3 Likes

I’m using the standard power supply.

I have Turris 1.0 and update to 3.8 was more less flawless (after remove of vim and manual run of updater) I don’t experience any accidental reboots so far but we got new kernel so it can be anything.

Turris 1.0 and for the time being 2 unintended reboots since 3.8 … Omnia - no reboot

Yes! I experience random reboots of Turris 1.0 after 3.8 update as well. Might be several in a row, then nothing for a few hours. Any ideas or workarounds?

I suspect the reboots might happen when a particular device connects to the wi-fi (or something on that device starts communicating), but I was not able to investigate it any more yet (maybe when I get home on Friday).

The only workarounds I’ve found are

• Wait and see if it fixes itself in half an hour
  • Make drastic changes to the configuration

The former worked for me once, and the latter I had to do because my internet was simply not working. I had to drop MWAN3 and take my Turris 1.1 out of my direct internet feed.

I should add that I’ve spent some time trying to methodically fix this and there’s no rhyme or reason to it- the reboots are random, with no log output, at 2 minute intervals or thereabout; but sometimes they stop after half an hour. Random.

Any news? @miska @Tangero @Vaclav @cynerd . Some information would be nice, thanks!

1 Like

If you can, try connecting serial console to your router and finding out what happens just before the reboot to point us in some direction. Or try figuring out how to reproduce it. But currently, our crystal ball is clouded :wink:

1 Like

How have you tried to reproduce this in-house?

Turris 1.0
Model Turris
Firmware Version OpenWrt turris 15.05 r47055 / LuCI branch (git-17.212.24321-49c3edd)
Kernel Version 4.4.87-d74822050ae7ec4a1e49c6af6d672787-2
Local Time Fri Sep 22 06:37:57 2017
Uptime 1d 23h 57m 22s
Load Average 0.08, 0.11, 0.12

Dva dny bez restartu, jdu ho otočit protože se nainstalovala 3.8.1

Two days without a reboot as well, holding my breath and crossing my fingers…

Hi guys (@Twinkie, @Broody ), but this is an English thread! :slight_smile:
Could you switch your language, please?

So I’ve been trying to reproduce it again, but with no luck. Maybe leaving the router disconnected from power for a long time solved the problem? :smiley: I will try some more next week.

Since Turris 1.x users should all understand Czech… but I agree that mixing it up isn’t very nice.

I have also reboots on Turris 1.0 since 3.8. I was thinking that HW is going old, but seems not only me have this issue.
It is all the time just one reboot and then works well. I was able to see maximum one reboot per day.

Hi,
my parents (Turris 1.1) had this problem (tens of reboots per day) and only thing that helped was factory reset without backing up the configuration. Now this issue started on my Turris 1.0 as well, so it really seems like a SW problem after update.

Hello,
I have same issue on Turris 1.x. It is rebooting every day.
I have never faced with this kind of issue before till update to OS 3.8 was performed.

Dear developers please check this issue asap as i am using your router in production of Company with more than 30 users. Otherwise i will need to replace it by router from another reliable vendor.

Regards,
Jan