Close to give up on my Omnias :(

1. I have also lowest setting, after restart they are bright, but after some time they goes down to the saved setting. Automatically, I would gues rainbow script check runned by cron
  • DNS: try to revert any changes, related forwarding to dnsmasq, and just use lovercase letters to name hosts (Static leases). It works out of box for me (maybe it will/is fixed by newer kresd, but anyway, it does trick to me and I dont care about case sensitivness)

Cant help with non-forwarding DNS, as I am using forwarding, disabled DNSSEC, and still got green flag as ISP does it for me.

Also 5GHz cant comment, I throw away 5Ghz card, diplexers, and running clean 2.4GHz at home

It’s actually Congstar. I’m unsure If they offer IPv6, even though technically it should just be DTAG VDSL. At least the VR200v doesn’t get an additional IPv6 address.

OpenWRT support is rather poor for the VR200v so I kept it on stock for now. I did some tests and forwarding actually seems to work fine.

I wouldn’t mind buying a dedicated VDSL modem if there would be any good choices. I looked at the DrayTek Vigor130, but then again people in this forum are having issues with it and IPv6. I would buy it if someone could confirm that it is actually doing well with the OT and DTAG.

I solved issues 2&3. It was apparently caused by setting the VR200v also as DNS on the WAN config tab in Foris. I made that change recently in a shotgun debugging attempt and thought it didn’t change anything. I’m not sure how this can have an effect with forwading disabled, but the super slow DNS lookups are gone and DNSSEC check is positive again with forwarding enabled. So entirely my bad, sorry for the noise.

Still the flanky 5Ghz Wifi is driving me nuts and might be the one reason I’ll send them back. It’s quite some extra money for another Wifi board, cables and antennas. And all of that x4.

Thanks and best regards

Ok, guess I can live with that. I hope at one time I don’t have to reboot the device mutiple times a day. Show stopper really is the flaky 5Ghz Wifi.

Ah, fair point. I have no personal experience with congstar VDSL lines and I see to recall a discussion, that congstar will re-sell non-DTAG lines as well. So I guess you were right in the no IPv6 observation, sorry.

I was under the impression, that if one used a VDSL-modem/router in bridge mode all it will do is convert ethernet to VDSL2-PTM and vice versa, so it seems quite contrary to expectations that IPv6 issues should show up. I have hard a number of users relatively happy with bridged Vigor130 in regards to functionality. There are general complaints that lantiq/intel based modems do not work that smoothly with the usual (for DTAG at least) broadcom based vectoring linecards. But as far as I can see that issue only affects some users (some only notice that lantiq devices achieve lower sync than broadcom ones), but I digress. So for telekom-branded DTAG vdsl2 lines the vigor 130 seems to work decently, no idea about congstar lines (but if those are re-labeled DTAG lines it should work; but I realize you would want to hear that from someone actually using a vigor 130 on a congstar line, which I can not offer).

Sure wlan issues can be nerve wrecking my sympathy (my own omnia works fine, but I operate it only as secondary router and hence have 2x5Ghz and 2X2.4GHz SSIDs available and simply switch networks if problems occur (and, knock on wood, so far all issues proofed to be temporary only).

Just did some more testing with the 2.4Ghz and it’s basically the same if not worse. Is there anything particular stupid I’m doing?

/etc/config/wireless

config wifi-device 'radio0'                                                               
        option type 'mac80211'                                                            
        option path 'soc/soc:pcie-controller/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/0000:02:00.0'        
        option country 'CZ'                                                               
        option disabled '0'                                                               
        option hwmode '11a'                                                               
        option htmode 'VHT80'                                                             
        option channel 'auto'                                                             
        option txpower '20'                                                               

config wifi-iface                                                                         
        option device 'radio0'                                                            
        option network 'lan'                                                              
        option mode 'ap'                                                                  
        option key 'key'   
        option ssid 'ssid'                                                                   
        option disabled '0'                                                               
        option encryption 'psk2+ccmp'                                                     

config wifi-device 'radio1'                                                               
        option type 'mac80211'                                                            
        option country 'CZ'                                                               
        option hwmode '11g'                                                               
        option path 'soc/soc:pcie-controller/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0'        
        option txpower '19'                                                               
        option channel '13'                                                               
        option htmode 'HT20'                                                              

config wifi-iface                                                                         
        option device 'radio1'                                                            
        option network 'lan'                                                              
        option mode 'ap'                                                                  
        option ssid 'ssid'                                                          
        option key 'key'   
        option encryption 'psk2+ccmp'                                                     

What is correct max txpower value for those cards? Seems LUCI can’t decide and randomly allows me to put 20, 23, or 27.

@hdo: you might have a look at:

Yes, it’s not cheap but it is rock solid and has a super wifi performance on both wifi modules. I am using this configuration since November 2016 with quite a few (about 25) IoT, iOS, Android and Windows devices connected per wifi. Also, a workstation and a Sonos sound system are connected per LAN. I never had a signal drop out, connectivity issues or similar instabilities.

1 Like

Yes, I already looked at your setup on Amazon before buying. I might actually just replicate that. I can find the cards for reasonable prices, but the antennas are a bit sickening (given that I’d need 2x the 4x pack). Is there anyplace I can buy 5 of these?

Does the the R11e-5HacT support 160Mhz wide or 80+80Mhz channels?

If it is configured to run as a pure modem, how could it have issues with IPv6? I ordered and received an Allnet ALL-BM100VDSL2 to be used with my future DTAG line. But I can only report in six weeks or so. I expect it to work flawlessly.

It could also be the clients themselves. Several people have remarked that their clients were the culprit. Try turning off every client device but one, and see? For me the 5 GHz works for my android mobile phone. You could try to put the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz on differently named SSID? Try and work with just 802.11n and no 802.11ac?

Ok, made some progress isolating this. I use cron to wifi down in the night and wifi (up) in the morning and this seems to be at least a big part of the problem.

In the morning I’m never able to get internet connectivity on the 5 Ghz card unless I connect first to the 2.4 Ghz card. Then on the next connect the 5Ghz wifi works and is no longer reported as having “no internet” on all my devices. To me this sounds like some route/dhcp/dns issues then. I haven’t found a good way to diagnose this from my Android devices. Any hints appreciated.

Was considering that modem as well. I now figured my Archer VR200v actually can be configured in pure bridge pppoe mode and that’s what I’m using now. I have to say TP-Link support is excellent. It’s a long time I just called a free hotline and immediately got a very competent person answering all my questions in seconds.

So, I finally had some time to look into the wifi issues, I solved pretty much anything else. When a disconnect on the 5Ghz happens I get

hostapd[]: wlan0: STA xxx IEEE 802.11: disconnected due to excessive missing ACKs

I found some other threads here, but hardly a solution. Basically that means today this still is on open issue and people facing this basically have no choice but to get another Wifi card that actually works?

try:
echo 0 >/sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy0/ath9k/ani

reference
https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/12372

Does this apply to ath10k as well? I only have /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy0/ath10k/ani_enable

try:
echo 0 /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy0/ath10k/ani_enable

I have the same error
IEEE 802.1 1: disconnected due to excessive missing ACKs
on both wlan0 and wlan1 cards from various connected clients.

I took the router to cz.nic and they tested it for one day and returned it with comments that “they couldn’t reproduce the issue and that the cards were running smoothly for them” …

I have Omnia on the same place where I had Asus RT-N66 router which run without any issue - so I don’t think there can be an interference from other equipment. As I’m not wifi expert I don’t know what else should I check / change. So far I don’t know what the error even means.

Those problems with devices disconnecting due to missing ack’s are also happening on LEDE and, most likely, also on OpenWRT. They also tend to happen more with a certain fruity manufacturer of devices. What @maurer recommended seems to help some people. Although, with bleeding edge LEDE, it doesn’t seem tot happen. Still, it will take some time for it to trickle down to turris-os.

I was thinking what was different when I took TO to cz.nic - I changed password to a weaker one. I tried to setup another wifi network with that weaker password - I connected my phone to that test network and it looked promising for a while but then my phone disconnected and connected to the other wifi network on the same card. What was interesting was that the phone stopped seeing the test network while it was connected on first one (the same radio and antennas … )

As I was watching logs and wireless tab I noticed some clients appearing and disappearing (with relatively strong signal) When I checked the logs I could see that phone of my wife connected and disconnected within 7 secs due to inactivity. 7 seconds is really a short period of time - any idea why it could happen?

2017-03-20T22:28:40+01:00 omnia daemon info hostapd[]: wlan1: STA xxx IEEE 802.11: authenticated
2017-03-20T22:28:40+01:00 omnia daemon info hostapd[]: wlan1: STA xxx IEEE 802.11: associated (aid 3)
2017-03-20T22:28:40+01:00 omnia daemon info hostapd[]: wlan1: STA xxx RADIUS: starting accounting session 72176B96C90FE253
2017-03-20T22:28:40+01:00 omnia daemon info hostapd[]: wlan1: STA xxx WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)
2017-03-20T22:28:44+01:00 omnia daemon info hostapd[]: wlan1: STA xxx WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
2017-03-20T22:28:46+01:00 omnia daemon info hostapd[]: wlan1: STA xxx IEEE 802.11: disassociated
2017-03-20T22:28:47+01:00 omnia daemon info hostapd[]: wlan1: STA xxx IEEE 802.11: deauthenticated due to inactivity (timer DEAUTH/REMOVE)

If you Google it you get multiple possible explanations as to why it haplena but I think this reply says it best: http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/ath10k/2015-July/005648.html

Have you tried what @maurer suggested?

So what card should I buy to get around all of that? The R11e-5HacT? Isn’t that using ath10 as well? Tried to disable ani, so far it’s working ok, but it often has for some days and became unusable again. Will post an update.