Check out the latest update to TurrisTech FAQ šŸ˜‰

Here, here: FAQ - Turris Documentation

If there are some other things You would love us to cover, let us know and we will think about it.

2 Likes

Iā€™d suggest to issue strong recomendation in HW part of FAQ to move any memory intensive tasks from internal memory (RAM) to external memory (USB).

2 Likes

Since I was the one who wrote the FAQ, it is not a bad suggestion, but the FAQ, in general, should be for non-experienced users. If you are a geek or someone who wants to go through technical things, you are advised to read the dedicated article for the specific feature within the documentation. There you can see which features require to use External storage. That is also labeled within UI when you would like to install additional software like PaKon, Nextcloud, LXC.

There were some cases when users were trying to see how many writes the eMMC (internal storage) could handle, but that is not covered by warranty. In that case, you can use external storage.

I should not forget that defaults are safe. System logs and many other things like diagnostics are generated to the /tmp (mapped to RAM). This means that once the router is rebooted, data are gone.

For that reason, there is a Storage plugin with the opt-in System logs rotation feature. Even these days, USB flash drives are not expensive and could be plugged to the router. That should be suggested and covered within the UI.

Could you please write a little bit more about how to read logs? The Syslog-ng is mentioned everywhere but I have not found on www.syslog-ng.com/products/open-source-log-management/ a kind of short article for dummies, where we could learn how to efficiently find some event in created log. Thanks!

3 Likes

Especially unexperienced users should be warned that RAM memory is prone to be prematurely worn by memory extesive tasksā€¦ (of which there are a lot). More advanced users are well knowing itā€¦

Iā€™m affraid that mere existence of Storage plugin isnā€™t enough (even though itā€™s very good that it exists).

Please take this as my comment only, itā€™s by no means criticism of FAQ and your work.

I think you are talking about flash memory here; RAM is quite tolerant and has endurance in spades. Memory consuming tasks are not wearing your routerā€™s main memory down; continuously writing to the eMMC flash ā€œstorageā€ however will kill that comparatively fast. I am sure you know this, still for others reading this thread I think it helps to clearly spell out the issue.

3 Likes

Iā€™m sorry I didnā€™t use more precise wording speaking (writing) of Omnia internal memmory as of RAM, using ā€œRAMā€ as shortcut for internal memoryā€¦

According to documentation Omniaā€™s internal memory is eMMC, thus it is prone to wear. Moreover it is soldered to PCB, which means that its replacement is nearly impossible.

2 Likes

Yes, this is why I hope the coming version will switch to SD cards instead. Sure these tend to be slower and less reliable than eMMC, but also relatively cheap and super easy to replace, also easy to keep bootable backup copies of a working router configuration (or even copies of different TOS versions to quickly switch between for testing, sure some can be done via btrfs snapshots, but having an independent medium for each version would minimize the risk of screwing up the work-horse configuration considerably).

2 Likes