Borgbackup package

Dear Turris team,
I know you are busy anyway. But still I would like to suggest new package for Turris OS.

For those who do not know Borgbackup yet: Borgbackup is an excellent deduplication backup tool (see https://www.borgbackup.org/). It would be an excellent backup solution in combination with schnapps. Suggested use case:

schnapps create
schnapps mount (mount the latest snapshot)
borg create (backup the latest snapshot via ssh to a remote backup server)

I already use similar scenario on another machine (automated btrfs snapshots + borgbackup) and it works flawlessly.

Thanks a lot
Budulinek

4 Likes

I know it’s an old post but I’m 100% for it :slight_smile:

Hi all, I do support Borg as well - but it would be much better to run it in container. Is there anyone who is capable to build one (unfortunately, I’m not)?
To have backup engine inside router could be an advantage for many users, but I’m not aware about suitable web-based front-end for Borg. There is available Vorta for Borg (I’m running it on RPi4) but GUI is not web-based.

If you run borg in container, you will not be able to backup the host. The main point of having borg would be the ability to backup your router to external server.

This should already be possible with schnapps:

upload [snapshot] [[url] [path]]
                      Upload snapshot as a medkit into specified folder on WebDAV, Nextcloud
                      or SSH server.
                      Snapshot argument can be snapshot number or ommited to backup running
                      system.
                      If the URL for SSH contains a relative path (no leading slash) or no
                      path at all then the path specified is treated relatively to the home
                      directory of login user.

documentation: Schnapps - Turris Documentation

Yes, this is also an option, thanks for pointing out.

I guess that “schnapps upload” is doing “btrfs send” (correct me if I am wrong). So you can search the web for advantages and disadvantages of backups via btrfs send/receive and see if it suits your needs.

BTW, if you are looking for incremental, dedup backups with web UI, you can have a look at Proxmox Backup Server.

But you will face a similar problem, PBS is officially available only for amd64 architecture.

BUT…

There is a guy who managed to compile PBS for ARM and even for Turris Omnia:

I guess that “schnapps upload” is doing “btrfs send” (correct me if I am wrong). So you can search the web for advantages and disadvantages of backups via btrfs send/receive and see if it suits your needs.

Not really, it does gets exported snapshots (btrfs subvolume snapshot), then packs it and sends it to a remote. This is what we call a medkit, users can then copy it to other routers of the same type and get the same configuration there. It’s a standalone tarball. Of course for some usecases, different backup methods might be better.

Hej, I wrote a summary of my install process in LXC:

I’m not using the internal hard drive (500GB) for Borg, as it’s not big enough, instead I mounted an external 4TB hard drive. Backing up of the Turris system is therefore not my main idea with the BorgBackup server, it’s more to have one central location in the network to store the backups that has the highest availability and the least experimenting :smiley:

Hi I also wanted my Turris Omnia (with SATA HDD) to become my borg server, so I ended up building native packages myself.

You can have a look here GitHub - julienmalik/package-feed-borg: OpenWRT feed for borgbackup , if you’re up to the task of building the binary packages yourself.

I plan to propose this for inclusion in upstream OpenWRT.

And in the mean time, I’d like to dig whether I can easily publish the packages somewhere, but that’s my first experimentation with OpenWRT packaging so I’m not yet fluent and miss some information.

Would Turris team be interested in including those packages in Turris OS ?

3 Likes

Cross-reference:

Good job, @jmk :clap:

2 Likes

Many thanks for backporting the packages @Pepe :ok_hand:

So it should be available in the next Turris OS major release (7.0 ?) ?

1 Like

I am afraid that it is not possible to backport it to OpenWrt 21.02 release, which is using Turris OS 6.x. Too many packages and it can break already existing packages, as happened with backporting it to OpenWrt 22.03. :frowning:

But yeah, Turris OS 7.0 is going to be based on top of OpenWrt 22.03, and this version is already in HBL branch, where you can install borgbackup.

1 Like