Best way to enable Jumbo frames?

I wanted to enable jumbo frames on my Omnia, but I’ve quickly learned that Linux assigns bridges the lowest MTU of all bridged interfaces. So, using the default network setup, the bridge contains both LAN and wifi ports, and the bridge allows the maximum MTU of these, which is <2k because of the wifi.

So I thought about creating two bridges, one for LAN ports and one for wifi… But I’d like to keep the simple network setup where there is only one /24 subnet served by one DHCP server and all clients can ping each other regardless of their connection type.

Do you have any ideas how to achieve this? Or would I have to split my network to two /25 subnets, one for wired and one for wireless clients, and set up a route between these subnets? Or is it possible to create a bridge of bridges? So that when traffic goes from LAN to LAN, it would just go through the lower-level bridge with 9k MTU, and if it needs to go LAN to wireless, it’d traverse all 3 bridges and get the MTU of the top-level bridge, which would be equal to the wifi MTU?

1 Like

Unfortunately, you cannot have common bridge between lan, wifi if you want jumbo frames.
lan and wifi will have different subnets, but if you assign them to the same zone (lan), they can ping each other without issue. This is my setup now for a couple of months and it works flawlessly.

1 Like

You’re right, keeping them in the same firewall zone should really do the trick. What about DHCP? Do you have one DHCP server per subnet?

It’s the same dhcp server serving 2 different subnets. The only drawback is that applications that auto-discover local clients maybe will not work from wifi to lan and vice versa. (TV casting?)