Bandwidth Usage, & Internal ip hostname

hello! searched around and wasn’t able to find any clear info regarding some of these topics.

1. how in Luci can i look at or view active real-time bandwidth usage. say i want to see the bandwidth usage a device running netflix that my family member is watching in the other room at that exact time. how may i view that in luci?
    similar to this - > Upozornění na přesměrování

second, internal ip renaming…in Luci i see this (INSERT LUCI PICTURE WITH DEVICE NAME)
In the turris omnia luci Status Overview , if you scroll down to DHCP leases you’ll see devices connected to the internet as “Hostname” and i’m interested in being able to rename that device.
for example when i look at what’s accessing the internet one of the devices hostname is (android 8437yhfbbfs874b) and by reading that i have no idea what device it is… it could be a number of
things in the house that’s an android.

i remember in the netgear UI in the
bandwidth monitoring tab you could change the name of that device
that was connecting to the internet to be able to recognize it faster such as this -

Upozornění na přesměrování

i looked around and didn’t come across anything that explains this,
how might i go about doing so in the Luci UI? pardon me, my lack of Luci open-wrt knowledge is fairly limited as i am still new to using it and wanting to support the Turris Omnia :slight_smile:

and lastly how do i completely disable IPv6 ?

There is a way for completely disabling of IPv6.

1. type this command for disabling IPv6 in kernel: “sysctl -w net/ipv6/conf/all/disable_ipv6=1”
  2. for permanent disabling of IPv6 you have to add this line to the “/etc/sysctl.conf” “net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1”

There is a link for original post (unfortunately in Czech) from official Turris team

This is really a function of DDNS. If you don’t want clients to specify their own hostname, there are a few options.

1. Assign an IP (Static or Reserved DHCP) through DHCP and set a hostname for that IP.
  2. Set a static (non-DHCP) IP and set a hostname for that IP. Then you have to statically set the IP on the device.
  3. Figure out how to set the device’s name on the device.

There may be another way to override the hostname given by a client, but I don’t know how to correlate the MAC address to a hostname. You can always try setting an alias or CNAME (myhost CNAME “android 8437yhfbbfs874b”) but I don’t really know how well that would work.

Any other way of setting a name, I think, is just interface stuff and has no bearing on actual DNS resolution

LuCI doesn’t have pretty graphs of bandwidth usage by device by itself. Sorry. Majordomo can give you bandwidth usage totals for your devices, abet in text form, with a lot of detail.

Alternatives, you can install vnstat and associated packages to get some more charts in LuCI.

I’ve also had success in installing YAMon, which might be what you’re looking for. It required hacking up some configuration files though but it does appear to work.

Link to my YAMon installation page.

thanks for your reply! ok i only know how to assign a static ip on netgear/cisco UI, but not on Luci yet and bare in mind i have 0 clue how to use a command line interface. only Luci GUI. I see on the bottom of the DHCP page you can set a static ip and a host name, although how do i see what mac addresses are connected to the network? every other brand of modem had a tab where you could sere the devices connected at that time, and possibly devices that have been connected that are currently offline of the network. because in turris omnia Luci status/ overview page it only shows active DHCP leases but not devices connected to network, so if i were to static ip all those dhcp leases then they wouldn’t show up there anymore therefore leading me to not know what else is on the network

because there are a few devices i want to have a set ip and out of the way of the dhcp set range. this would help with identifying what devices on my network are which.

and better yet where in turris omnia Luci can i view all the (hostnames) that are on the network?

that yamon looks similar to what i had in mind, although it would be tough to install it since i have no experience with command line things. i’d probably screw everything up trying to install it like that lol. i did see that it was not support by turris, so cheers to you for getting it to work though

i have majordomo installed, although it is only usage for a set amount of time lapsed, which is nice but not quite what i had in mind

no experience in using command line , can this be done in the default turris omnia Luci interface?

how do i pull up kernel? i have no experience in command line settings btw. only barely familiar with foris/luci

You have to log on to the Turris router via SSH (link to documentation)
Then type the command to the command line or edit appropriate file.

guess im out of luck there… never touched command line in my life, probably won’t start now either… thanks for suggestion and link though man, appreciate you taking time to respond!

YAMon has a setup script that walks you through the configuration process. In my experience, flashing the firmware on your router is more complicated than installing and configuring YAMon. See http://usage-monitoring.com/help/?t=install-yamon… it might help.

Otherwise let me know how I can help.

Al

1 Like