Automatic update disabled dnsmasq by changing config file

Today I tried to trust the automatic updater and enable it.

It disabled dnsmasq and thus DNS resolution on both local network and the router it self – as I use dnsmasq for this:

diff --git a/config/dhcp b/config/dhcp
index 8bff245..7adde38 100644
--- a/config/dhcp
+++ b/config/dhcp
@@ -15,7 +15,7 @@ config dnsmasq
        option nonwildcard '0'
        option local '/lichtvoll/'
        option filterwin2k '1'
-       option port '53'
+       option port '0'

When I upgrade manually with pkgupdate it installs new config files alongside the current ones. But when I use automatic updater it seems to tell pkgupdate/opkg to modify at least some config files without me agreeing to it. (It also modified network configuration as well, but there it just removed wan6 interface).

Can I tell automatic updates not to mess with my configuration files and instead notify me when it wants me to do any changes?

Otherwise automatic updates are out of the question for me – as I do not tolerate any breakage to my setup. Today I also enabled notifications via my own SMTP server, so I hope it will at least tell me whether updates are available and… also about any other news I enabled. If thats the case, I will just keep automatic updates disabled until I can be convinced that they would work for me. And that would be just fine for me… but it also means that my router won´t take part in honeypot data gathering.

Thank you.

1 Like

I agree with your opinion - user setting should be left untouched. For me, the update quite works. For updater I have configured user.lua (to keep alive my custom packages), and it stays not oweritten by update.

I found a few files on /etc/config been different against update, but updater/opkg works fine, it informs me that files are different, and place new files as (example): /etc/config/system-opkg.

I just review changes, nothing important, and delete -opkg files. ucollect and resolver was interesting - I dont use any custom VLANs (running default), fortunatelly I didnt use ucollect at all:

ucollect (3.5.3):

config interface
    option ifname 'eth1'

ucollect-opkg (3.6)

package 'ucollect'

config interface
    option ifname 'eth0.2'

Resolver’s new options are
option static_domains '1' option dynamic_domains '0'

and I really missing basic documentation for config on Kresd docs site.

P.S.: I dont use automatic updater. I just enable it for a few moments, then run updater.sh, and then disable again. I watching news on forum, also opkg update + opkg list-upgradable is sufficient enough to make decision, when perform update.

P.P.S.: I have this in updater config, maybe thats the thing, that makes my updates non-problematic:

config override 'override'
    option disable '1'

These particular options are Omnia-specific and not introduced or supported in upstream knot-resolver. They’re translated to kresd config around net/knot-resolver/files/kresd.init · test · Turris / Turris OS / Turris OS packages · GitLab I think Omnia docs/changelog are the best place to document them (but I’m not in the Turris team).