AsiaRF AW7915-NP1 / 802.11ax / WiFi6

I have an Intel AX-card installed (and AC before that), but no matter what I did (newest drivers installed, A/C-power connected, closest distance to the router’s antennas), transfer speeds never exceeded 500 Mbit/s.

How do you have it configured? With my HP 1040 G6 with Intel AX200 card directly in front of router i had almost 1 Gb/s (my screenshots are in this thread), but of course its rapidly going down with longer distance.

So, today I checked temperature (some torrents and copying to NAS)…

mt7915_phy0-pci-0100
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1:        +66.0°C  (high = +120.0°C, crit = +110.0°C)

mt7915_phy1-pci-0200
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1:       +101.0°C  (high = +120.0°C, crit = +110.0°C)

Seems quite hot even with heatsink :slight_smile:

Actually there were others (e.g. the DD-Wrt developer brainslayer, but without presenting any proof) claiming that an Intel 9250/9260 ac-card could transfer 1 Gbit/s when connected to a Linksys WRT3200/32x 160 MHz-SSID. So there is no improvement in terms of speed.
And the other improvements concern MU-MIMO (that was already introduced with Wi-Fi5) and will that way only be relevant with a lot of devices connected in Wi-Fi6-mode. So this does only affect enterprise networks but not to us consumers.
So all in all I do not see a benefit in Wi-Fi6 now.
And a direct comparison between MT7915E and QCA9984 (WLE1216v5-20) shows that MT7915E’s signal strength is defensively worse given the very same antennas (in my case good external ones) and defined TX-power.

2 Likes

Well of course theories are one thing, reality another, i did not expect any real improvements, its lets say “geek” operation to switch AC cards to AX cards. I dont think, that anybody is really expecting real difference in real life to switch AC router to AX router. Real difference is only in case of switching of lets say low price/performance router to high price/performance router. And for real high speed demand there is only one real solution and its called 10Gb cable solution :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s the latency improvement with OFDMA that’s the wifi6 killer feature imho.

Anyway, that’s the reason I will upgrade my wifi4 :blush: network in the near future.

Na ja, but best latency is no latency via cable. If latency is high priority, then wifi is not used at all. Otherwise its just playground to solve latency on wifi these days.

1 Like

Hmm, I’m using this as testbed to find out whether or not to apply Wi-Fi 6 at home.

1 Like

Concerning this AsiaRF ax card coverage in 5Ghz band. Please could someone compare with WLE900VX (original Omnia card used for 5ghz band)?

Well me personally i do not see any range reduction with new AsiaRF AX cards installed, on 2.4 as well as 5 GHz. Seems to me on same level. Where i had a problem on 5GHz already and device switched to 2.4 GHz in my flat, same is with new AX cards.
I had big issues only in the beginning, when i incorrectly connected pigtails to antennas, then range was really bad. But it was my mistake.

1 Like

There’s a small but noticeable difference in coverage between WLE1216v5-20 and MT7915E but not between WLE900VX (5 GHz-band) and MT7915E.
Yet for 2 GHz there seems to be even a small plus for the MT7915E compared to the WLE900VX.

Thank you for answers.

Hi,
Would somebody be interested in making a group order from asiarf again? The current price is 39.90 $ and shipping is flat 37$ per order. So it’s not very economical to order just one or two cards.

You’re quoting USD? Does that mean you’re considering shipping within the US?

I apologize for the misconception. I am planning to order to EU, Czech Republic to be exact.

Many users on support are asking us what about AX support when we will support it, what card they can use, and so on. I think I might be able to share some secret news. :eyes:

We bought a large amount of this card from AsiaRF. It is mentioned in our new FAQ page. :tada:

• There is a planned upgrade pack as we did it in the past for Turris 1.x routers.
    More details will be revealed soon.
18 Likes

The card seems to support 2x2n+2x2ax DBDC too.
Did anyone try such configuration?

Asiarf sells a card with MT7915DAN, that is only 2x2n+2x2ax DBDC.

1 Like

Why this card is not replacement for Compex?

Do you have a source for that?

1 Like