Are there any 2.5Gbase-T SFP modules compatible with Omnia

My ISP is now offering 2gbps service in my area and the modem supports a 2.5G copper port. I was trying to find a 2.5Gbase-T SFP module that’s compatible with the Omnia so I can utilize this new speed tier.

Are there any 2.5Gbase-T SFP modules that are compatible with the Omnia? Has to be copper as the modems available for the 2gbps tier do not have fiber ports. It’s either two 1gbps ports in a LAG configuration or a single 2.5gbps port.
Thanks

1 Like

I asked directly the Turris support and got the following answer last year concerning the question if the drivers support speeds higher than 1 Gbps:
“We support SFP with max. speed 2.5Gbps “[hardware wise]”.
We are working hard on this field however we can’t say the exact date because validation tests “[for the software]” are underway now.
As we hope, some news can be expected at the end of this year.”
At the end of last year there was no new features in the (then) new Turris versions so I assume this is still the same case as it was since the Turris Omnia was launched years ago: 2,5 Gbps is supported hardware wise but not by the current driver.
There might be changes in the upcoming TOS v.5.2 but I wouldn’t bet on it. Let’s see what the future brings.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I guess it’s good to know the hardware will support it and we’re just waiting for software/drivers to be updated.

Thanks too.
In France there is a provider with 5gbps service and a box with a 2.5gbps copper port.
I’m interested too to have more information and a correct model to use. I didn’t want to take the risk to buy one to test and have a fail regarding the price of the SFP.

Even though in the time, it seemed that we would deliver Turris OS 5.2 before New Year, it seems that we somehow failed. :frowning: It was too ambitious, I’d say. New features do not belong to fixup releases.
It’s going to be part of Turris OS 5.2, right now, we are in the (internal) testing process before it reaches HBK and HBT.

It is supported by HW and SW currently. If you connect two Turris Omnia routers by using an SFP cable, it reaches approx. ~2.35 Gbps by using iperf3 and default MTU. This is a test, which was made one year ago.

About SFP modules, it is a little bit complicated because you need the other side, which communicates to you by using the correct mode (not 5 Gbps, not 10 Gbps, but 2.5 Gbps), some SFP modules required to change their EEPROM.

Why would you? :wink: I’m going all in! The surprise is coming, I know it! Just give us a little bit more time to release Turris OS 5.2.
Also, with SFP modules it is a little bit complicated, but we are working on it and bring fixes and improvements to the Linux kernel. Recently, we were working on some GPON modules.

5 Likes

And about SFP modules. Copper 10G SFP can do 2.5G (as see in spec sheets).
Will it be ok?

No problem at all - its better to have good quality assurance to avoid error prone software/firmware… And in addition: the email wisely and clearly stated that 5.2 might not make it until the end of 2020. But I myself thought that those changes might not make it into the release itself and would that way get postponed (as drivers/kernel development need time to work reliably).
Glad to hear this is still on track.
Did you also test connections TO↔ switch? I know your key focus is on WAN compatibility but that is what keeps me and others talking about since day one :wink:

I know! Sorry. But in the morning, I couldn’t find what I was looking for. I will try to find it during upcoming days or ask someone else and get back to you, because I don’t have experience with SFP by myself.

2 Likes

Right now this does not work as long as you cannot get it working in 2,5 Gbps mode.
I for example tried a Mikrotik S+RJ10 connected to a Netgear GS110EMX (both supporting 2,5 Gbps mode) but it would only sync in 10 Gbps mode. According to what @Pepe wrote that’s the reason it won’t establish a collection.

@Pepe Would be nice if you would present in the end some working modules (or the instructions to flash a working firmware to the EEPROM of a known module).

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifications.
Yes would be nice.

you could try a usb3 -> nbase-t adaptor

Yes that can be a good solution thanks.
Do you know a model a chipset that work on the Omnia?
I see some cheap adapters with Realtek 8156. Can it work?

GPON module(s) compatible with Pe3ny.net would be awesome!

idk which will work well.
but since you have money and time to mangle with (non-cheap) homerouters i guess you are in a position to order two different ones, compare them, keep the better one and report back your findings :slight_smile:

I’ll receive soon an Asustor usb AS-U2.5G2 with RTL8156B to play and check if it can be suitable.
Regarding copper SFP modules is there an interest to go on HBK 5.2? Still on HBT.

Started to play with RTL8156B but no luck for now.
With kmod-usb-net-cdc-ncm i have an usb0 network interface. I added it to the br-lan bridge to test before replace wan eth2 interface. But didn’t get an IP adresss on a laptop.
With kmod-usb-net-rtl8152 I didn’t get an usb0 interface maybe because not up to date as I read in the openwrt forum on RTL8156 topics.
No ideas for now.

Maybe better to open another thread for that.

I read in the openwrt forum that driver is very old
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/tree/drivers/net/usb/r8152.c?h=linux-4.14.y&id=v4.14.222
Actual realtek driver is 2.13 so need to complie it. I’ll try to check how to do on Omnia.

Would you please put this into new thread? This is really of topic (but interesting if a stable 2,5 GBit or even 5 GBit (https://www.startech.com/en-de/networking-io/us5ga30) could be established).
Maybe @Pepe could merge those ot-posts into new thread?

Any news on that? It seems your work didn’t make to 5.2?

A bit late but you can order a supported turris branded 10G sfp+ on discomp.

I received my yesterday and have been running 2.5G on wanside since this morning on my mox

2 Likes