Antenna wire too short, can I remove the little wifi card?

I want to put a msata card in my omnia, but one of the antenna wires for the small card is not long enough to move it as shown in the youtube video.
Is it ok to just have one antenna wire or just to remove the card completely ?

ok in which context? The wire (pigtail) serves a purpose (Wlan frequency band connector between card and antenna) or else it would be unlikely to be there in the first place.

Well, will the small wifi card still work, when it can only transmit using the one antenna, or is it best to just remove the card, and will that have any effect on the router in other ways ?
I know what the wire does, I actually have a radio amateur licence.

The smaller Wlan card covers the 2.4GHz band. Removing the card thus removes that band but does not otherwise impede the device’s functionality.

Suppose the card should still work with 1 pigtail only, instead of 2 x 2 MIMO then being reduced to 1 x 1 MIMO, however I am not 100% sure since never tried.

OK, thank you, I think i will just remove it.

I have the same problem. For the time being I have just taped the small wifi card somewhere where it will not rattle around, but that of course loses all the functionality.

Since the case has additional holes (plugged with black plastic covers) in between the places where the antennas come out, I thought of moving the rightmost antenna one hole to the left so that it is closer to the PCI slot where I am putting the small wifi card. However, the other hole is not completely round and so the antenna RP-SMA connector does not fit through it. My new plan is to drill out that hole to make it big enough for the RP-SMA connector.

Does anyone have a better suggestion?

I think most people could work around it just by swapping the five antenna cables around.

3 Likes

I didn’t realise that it was possible to swap the internal antenna cables between cards - I thought they were soldered on. I will try that idea first. Thanks!

1 Like

It took me a while to find an opportunity when I had some spare time and nobody else wanted to use the internet, so I could try this.

Swapping the internal antenna cables didn’t work as none of the cables are long enough to reach all the way across from the rightmost antenna to the leftmost wi-fi card. So I followed my original idea and used a drill to round out one of the other holes so that I could fit the RP-SMA connector through it. (In case anyone else is interested, this needs a 6.5mm drill bit.) Now everything seems to work fine.