Additional steps for Internal SSD & problem with Storage module /srv

So I have followed Pepe’s post from here eMMC is broken? and specifically the following documentation on mounting and using a SSD to replace the worn out eMMC (even though my LXC were all on an external drive…)

https://doc.turris.cz/doc/en/howto/omnia_booting_from_external_storage

An additional note for the above document.
For some reason I couldn’t get my WAN (PPPoE) working again using my settings I had previously but restoring a backup from over a year ago - it started working. Not sure if this is linked to the addition of the SSD or a bug in the current GUI for adding the WAN data.

Of interest and not mentioned in the documentation is the fact the wifi card is linked to a hardware address related to which slot it is installed in. This is OK if you do not load a previous backup to get things working. However, if you do load a previous backup, you will notice you might now have 3 Radios for Wifi:
Radio0 (the middle slot, probably unchanged);
Radio1 (your original slot next to the CPU, now occupied with your new SSD), and;
Radio2 (slot furthest away from the CPU where you moved the Wifi card to).

To get your old settings back working once you have restored the backup, ssh in to the router and within /etc/config/wireless you need to edit Radio1 sections to show so it now points to the correct slot eg:
option path ‘soc/soc:pcie-controller/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.0/0000:03:00.0’

Then ensure you delete Radio2 referenced sections completely, i.e. all indented text for example:
config wifi-device ‘radio2’
_ option type ‘mac80211’_
_ option channel ‘3’_
_ option country ‘CZ’_
_ option hwmode ‘11g’_
_ option path ‘soc/soc:pcie-controller/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.0/0000:03:00.0’_
_ option htmode ‘HT20’_

and
config wifi-iface
_ option device ‘radio2’_
_ option mode ‘ap’_
_ option ssid ‘yourssid’_
_ option key ‘yourpassword’_
_ option encryption ‘psk-mixed’_
_ option network ‘lan’_
_ option mtu ‘1452’_

No all there is left for me is to get my external drive mounted as /srv I have formatted it to btrfs using the storage module and it is connected to the router but it is refusing to mount at boot on the router for some reason which I am unable to fathom…

Within the storage module it shows as highlighted blue and “Device currently in use is sdb1 (uuid: 01811ec2-2ac3-4426-b60d-83e0e6dde264).” which is the external 1Tb drive I expect to be used as /srv

I can manually mount it as /srv and once done it shows a sub-directory of “@”… but it is not persistent.

I am sure I am missing something here!

1 Like

thanks for sharing this! Saved me some time.
I also have a broken eMMC and switched to SSD (mSATA).

1 Like