Adblock seems broken

On TOS 5.1.4, the status page is empty. It also does not seem to be working.

I’ve tried all options for fetch_util. None work.

UCI config:

config adblock 'global'
	option adb_debug '0'
	option adb_forcedns '0'
	option adb_safesearch '0'
	option adb_dnsfilereset '0'
	option adb_mail '0'
	option adb_report '0'
	option adb_backup '1'
	option adb_maxqueue '4'
	list adb_sources 'adaway'
	list adb_sources 'adguard'
	list adb_sources 'disconnect'
	list adb_sources 'yoyo'
	option adb_enabled '1'
	option adb_dns 'kresd'
	option adb_trigger 'wan'
	option adb_fetchutil 'curl'

Because we are using latest branches of OpenWrt 19.07, there might be issues like this. I would suggest to try HBT as it was compiled 2 or 3 days ago and there were updates to adblock and luci-app-adblock. If it persists, it would be good to ping @dibdot. :slight_smile:

Did you enable the adblock service in LuCI under System => Startup and reload adblock afterwards?

Edit: Just tested with stable branch …

Dec  9 11:46:28 turris adblock-4.0.7[8524]: adblock instance started ::: action: reload, priority: 0, pid: 8524
Dec  9 11:46:36 turris adblock-4.0.7[8524]: blocklist with overall 42768 blocked domains loaded successfully (Turris Omnia, TurrisOS 5.1.4 589c3cf4e08731e4971d2db6c83e16b5ab959878)

Starts and restarts don’t do anything. I only see this in the log:

Dec  9 09:11:10 turris adblock-4.0.7[7282]: Please enable the 'DNS Report' option to use the reporting feature
Dec  9 09:14:08 turris adblock-4.0.7[8155]: Please enable the 'DNS Report' option to use the reporting feature
Dec  9 09:31:26 turris adblock-4.0.7[11246]: Please enable the 'DNS Report' option to use the reporting feature
Dec  9 09:33:39 turris adblock-4.0.7[12127]: Please enable the 'DNS Report' option to use the reporting feature

Which “status page” are you referring to? If you’re talking about the “DNS Report” page, you have to enable that and allocate some storage for it.

The main status page.

Did you use adblock from turris repo or from package master? Anyway, please provide the output of /etc/init.d/adblock enabled; echo $?

2 Likes
root@turris:~# /etc/init.d/adblock enabled; echo $?

edit: repo is all turris.

That means the adblock service is disabled. As already mentioned in my first feedback, simply enable the service and you’re done.

Looks like that fixed it. Very strange though. Adblock is enabled in the config page.

lol sometimes it’s so easy… I also installed it from the package list, “enabled” it through Luci -> adblock -> enabled but it never worked… I think the service should be enabled after installing and enabling it. :thinking:

Yeah. It’s a difference from stock OpenWrt. No idea why.

It’s a change in TurrisOS (for unknow reason)…in /lib/functions.sh only services which are listed in /etc/services_wanted will be enabled by default.