AdBlock ... reg_cz blacklist

I’m having trouble downloading Google Play updates, and sometimes I’m not get to offline map files (Mapy.cz). It’s not 100%, but I attributed the problem to an optional list of reg_cz (reg_czech+slovak) is more likely. Do you have any similar problems?

For google play you have to add these into whitelist:

gvt1.com
gvt2.com

I’m out of this. Thank you for the information, Now I can rule out one possible cause. I don’t have these addresses on my blacklist, but I’m going to put them on the whitelist.

It is also possible that this is an Android problem. https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/7513003?hl=en The mistake is complicated, there can be many causes. I have already followed the instructions, but the result is not clear. I’m trying 4 Android devices (ver. 7 and 11) they all behave the same. When connecting to another network (wifi neighbors) … It’s vaguely bad,but sometimes Google Pay come to life.

My current small minimized blacklist (which I occasionally activate to default reg_CZ) is:

encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com
encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com
encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com
encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com
googleads.g.doubleclick.net
#.ctk
h.seznam.cz
spir.hit.gemius.pl
ssp.imedia.cz
safeframe.googlesyndication.com
s8t.teads.tv
securepubads.g.doubleclick.net
s0.2mdn.net
#
www.googletagservices.com
adclick.g.doubleclick.net
googleads.g.doubleclick.net
www.master.cz
kolimnc.com
gstatic.com

Now I’ve canceled my provider’s DNS forward and it’s brought it to life. But it took 1 minute to download the 20Mb App !!! :slight_smile: I hope I’m on the right track.

I tested the address gvt1.com the abongo.com and www.abuseipdb.com. The second server won’t adress gvt1.com .

Similarly, https://dnssec-analyzer.verisignlabs.com/gvt1.com and https://dnsviz.net/d/gvt1.com/dnssec/ are not without errors.

Unfortunately, I’m not the kind of detrame to evaluate it.

My gray hair is even grayer :slight_smile: … it’s life :slight_smile:

Well, the name itself has no A nor AAAA record, so perhaps the site also counts that as “cannot resolve”. (Practically Google use some sub-domains of this, I expect.)

1. So is the problem caused by my internet providers’ DNS servers, when forwarding to them causes Goggle Play to malfunction? Or it needs to be confirmed by further analysis?

2. Which DNS server translates to me when I set DNS my providere on router … and in reForis is forward to provider’s DNS resolver inactive ?

1. I can’t see sufficient information to be really confident what’s wrong.
  2. If “forwarding” is unchecked, the original/standardized DNS approach is used, i.e. Turris asks directly the individual authoritative servers (the sources of data, without other in-between resolvers doing it for us).
1 Like

Question, could a small blurb explaining this consequence of un-checking the forwarding check-box be added to the GUI, please? While it matches my theory of what would happen, having it there explicitly would IMHO help users when we ponder whether to forward or not to forward :wink:
(Maybe also add a sentence what side-effects this might have, e.g. alls ISP DNS engineering will be absent, which can be great (working around unexplained DNS holes), or less so, say, if the ISP either only resolves a few internal hosts via its own DNS servers (like its internal SIP servers), or if the ISP uses DNS to steer users to better connected instances of cloud servers)…

The top of the DNS page in reForis says:

Router Turris uses its own DNS resolver with DNSSEC support. It is capable of working independently or it can forward your DNS queries your internet service provider’s DNS resolver.

The following setting determines the behavior of the DNS resolver. Usually, it is better to use the ISP’s resolver in networks where it works properly. If it does not work for some reason, it is necessary to use direct resolving without forwarding.

I’d say that’s OK, even though my personal first choice would be without forwarding.

EDIT: well, the formulation doesn’t account for the possibilities of forwarding to other resolvers (than ISP’s).

2 Likes

I was still in the dark. I briefly verified DNS with forwad on my ISP and no forward.

Now I’m going to verify my suspicions more thoroughly. I will test the DNS forward for other resolvers as well as incl. forward on my provider. If the problem is confirmed, I will inform my ISP.

So I didn’t come to any conclusions when I tested the DNS forward settings. The results were ambiguous. Repeatedly changing the “no-forward and forward to my provider’s DNS” or forward settings to other optional servers, Google Play accessibility from Android devices behaved without an discoverable rule. The best thing for me was = no forward to set. The question is whether there is any DNS reset needed on the Android device, since it seems to me that they do not accept the DNS server change immediately. Towards the end, after changing the settings, I restarted both the client and the router.

During the tests (so that it is not enough) one Samsung tablet had another problem (fortunately temporary) that it had connected to wifi, but it was fiercely reporting that it was without an Internet connection. (half of day = forget wifi network, reset wifi on router, etc. :slight_smile: )

I’m tired - I’m going to take a break.